MMA Standing up to break the gaurd open.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by brolli, Oct 29, 2005.

1. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

Usually, against someone my size I have little problem prying the guard open while kneeling. But against people who are a little bigger, sometimes I feel like the only way I can get enough leverage is to stand up and either slip a knee between us or pressure their knee.

Am I the only one who feels this way? I don't really like doing so because getting swept is always something worrying me in the back of my mind when I am standing...

2. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

standing guard passes are my favourite way of breaking the guard

if they try to sweep you do the counter ftw

3. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

yeah I guess I have to practice the standing guard breaks a little more, I am too accustomed to doing it while on the ground.

4. Jeff Merr

Jeff Merr Elite Member

Just use the rampage jackson slam, usually works for him ;-)

5. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

hah I wish I were that strong

6. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

People with a weak open guard are easily caught with kneebars if you can transition the movement decently. Try it out.

Otherwise, if you are weak at guard passes, work on it, why continue to use an alternative to something when you should be rounding your game out completely.

7. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

theres one way to break the guard that seems like suicide, but it works very well.

works no gi too.

put your right hand on the persons chest and push down, DO NOT LET THEM SIT UP.

put your left hand behind you and uncross their ankles, do not put your whole arm between their legs or you will get triangled. just put your hand, and start prying their ankles apart

if they open their legs to try and armbar or triangle you, then posture backwards and get out from between their legs.

they key to this is posturing very far away from them. if you let them break your posture, you must immediately get your hand out from between their legs before you end up in the triangle.

the first few times i did this, i ended up in a triangle. but now that i have confidence in it, its a very good way to break the guard. especially no gi. if they attack, the guard is open, and if they dont attack, after a while their ankles will get tired.

8. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

thanks for the tips chechen, will try it monday

9. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

I personally feel standing up to break guard is too risky, but mostly because every single time anyone tries to do it to me I sweep em and take mount.

10. Rommel

Rommel friends forever

every time they try and sweep me i stick my knee on their face and stack them;)

but really if you are doing the standing pass right you should hide your legs under his when you form the table.

When i went to canada i really worked on my standing passes, if i couldn't hit the kneeling pass i would go straight to standing. From what i've seen in gi nearly all the top guys use standing passes.

11. brolli

brolli OT Supporter

I was working on that kneeling pass chechen described earlier, so far 3/3 with it =)