Standing Calf Raises and Back Pain

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by eXyle, May 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

During my last work out and today's workout, I did calf raises with the whole rack (395) and I felt some pain in my upper back (between the shoulder blades). Normally, I do 325 and experience no pain, but with 395 I do. I tend to just deal with it and continue with my exercise and the pain ceases within a couple of minutes. I plan on seeing a doctor to make sure I didn't do any damage to my back because I don't think such pain is normal, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar?

For reference, I do standing calf raises using the machine with the shoulder pads.

2. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

If it hurts when you're over-exerting yourself (395) don't be a doucebag and just don't do them at that weight.

Isn't that a simple solution?

3. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

My calves handle the weight just fine. I believe the pain stems from the weight pushing down on my shoulders. Therefore, if there were other members who experienced similar discomfort with that particular machine, that would indicate to me that I use a different machine to work my calves, such as donkey raises. Obviously using lower weights is an option, however, I do not intend on staying at the same weight forever, but thank you for your input nonetheless.

4. Katarn2086

Katarn2086 I know exactly where we're going....where the fuck

I've experienced lower back pain from a similar machine set-up. I'm in a similar situation you are in because my calves could handle the weight, but my back wasn't prepared to hold up so much weight. So I've ditched the exercise and found that donkey calf raises work just fine for me, among a few other movements.

5. jackjohnson

jackjohnson simple as something nobody knows OT Supporter

yeah any type of machine like that, and/or doing them with a BB is major stress to my back. im usually jacking up my back way before my calves feel it. i use that donkey thing, leg press (do one leg at a time, get a killer burn on your calves and not have to use 11ty billion plates), and that other machine that you sit on and push yourself up at an angle

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.