COMIC Stan Lee on "Identity"

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by the13thzen, Dec 22, 2006.

1. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

Did anybody catch Stan Lee on "Identity" last night [Thurs, Dec. 21st]?! One of the identities of the people on the show was "Spiderman Creator" and I was like: :bowdown: when they showed him!

I was astonished [or should i say "amazed"] they had someone so cool on the show!

2. axio

axio New Member

Stan Lee is a colostomy bag, he didn't create Spider-Man. I love how he takes ALL the credit for it.

3. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

explain?

4. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

5. the13thzen

the13thzen New Member

6. DoctorDoom

DoctorDoom Doom always keeps his word. OT Supporter

I suppose it doesn't tackle the controversy directly. I think the jist of it is that while Stan Lee wrote the stories (or at least dialogue), Steve Ditko (the artist) contributed to the plots and mythos of Spider-man. I think it was Ditko's idea to make Peter an awkward teen with problems, and of course also designed his costume.

Over the years, for whatever reason, Lee became more synonymous with Spidey to the general public and is usually credited as the creator without mentioning Ditko. It's debatable who really had more input on the creation of Spider-man, but since Lee is more of a public person and Ditko is very reclusive, Lee gets the credit.

7. axio

axio New Member

Stan Lee never corrects people when they say he created Spider-Man, it wasn't until recent years that he started changing that tune. Ditko created him, designed the costume, and drew all the art. Stan Lee just added text. If anything, you can credit Stan Lee for giving Spider-Man his sense of humor, but that's it.

8. Corz

Corz ha ha! snikt

and what do you have when you take spidermans humor out of it?

tobey maguire :ugh:

9. monkeyboy

monkeyboy Mr. Monkey Pants

There's a cool book called Men of Tomorrow by Gerard Jones that fleshes out a lot of how the early comic books came to be. It doesn't say much about the Spider-Man controversy, but it covers a lot of the history of the companies in general, and gives you an idea of just how many people were really involved in creating all of the comic book icons.

At the same time, of course, this happens with everything -- is George Lucas really the SOLE person who came up with all the ideas for Star Wars? Of course not, but he's always listed as the creator. The cult of celebrity has to simplify things; that's how they sell it to the greatest body of their audience.