SSRI and muscle building.

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by rainbowcock, Oct 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rainbowcock

rainbowcock New Member

Does anyone know if SSRI's such as Citalopram or Fluoxetin have any effects on muscle building or weight-lifting in general? I do know that they can be associated with weight gain and weight loss, but apparently thats more associated with screwing around with your appetite more than anything.

Anyone have any links to any articles on this sort of thing?

2. BYGDK

BYGDK "It's nice to be important, but it's more importan

One of the side effects of Fluoxetine is weight loss.. it also causes nausea.. and yea it can make u feel falsely hungry.. but really it is the nausea and nothing else. U should just stop eating when u feel u have eaten a reasonable amount..

It will make u feel spaced out and kinda like u r high..but i think it has no effect on muscle building or weight lifting.

PM me if u want more info.

3. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

I'm on Fluoxetine, i haven't noticed any differences except i'm slightly nauseous after taking it in the morning. My appetite is the same (though i've always been always hungry), no "high." :dunno:

4. rainbowcock

rainbowcock New Member

Cheers for the info. Was more wondering if it would dick around with my bodies ability to grow muscle, or mess around with my hormones. I have been on Citalopram for a couple months, I guess I'm curious as to what sort of longterm effects it might have.

5. Another Loser

Another Loser New Member

Been taking lexapro for a long time and it has never affected my athletic performance. Before that I took effexor and it never caused a problem either.

6. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

i put on weight after starting zoloft..

i don't notice anything adverse with zoloft or lexapro (i switched about a year ago)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.