SSD RAID 0

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spahndirge, Mar 23, 2010.

1. spahndirge

spahndirge Scumbag Member

Thinking about taking the plunge and going for 2 small SSDs on RAID 0. I've been reading lots of conflicting opinions about this (some people even saying that there's no real performance increase with RAID!)... A few questions....

My current system is:
    Win 7
    Asus P5Q
    Intel Q6660
    ATI Radeon 4850
    74GB Raptor (old as hell)
    4GB DDR2 6400 G-Skill

I'm considering either the Intel X25-V (40GB) or the OCZ Vertex (30GB). I've read that the OCZ requires a lot of firmware updating, I don't want to buy 2 HDs that need constant updating. for example, TRIM support is available as a firmware update. On the other hand, I've read other reports that it's faster than the Intel (and other's that say OCZ is better in benchmarks but not in real world).
    I have a feeling that the difference is probably miniscule, especially when upgrading from an old raptor. Anyone care to influence my decision?
    Also, is a RAID controller worth getting?

2. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=232796
    Take a look at my results.
    The X25-V is much faster @ random write IOPS. Is this all that important? Not really since drives read about 10x as much as it writes.
    The 1.50 FW on the Vertex is their final firmware in all likelihood, as the drive is now EOL.

I would personally go w/ a single X25-M, as it is pretty much exactly twice as fast as the X25-V's.

3. spahndirge

Thanks man :bigthumb:

Looking forward to trying it out. I'm using one of the early raptors (74GB, 10000rpm) and it's burst speed is nearly half of my 7400rpm drives. :dunno:

[​IMG]

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Okay, standard RAID indoctrination:

DON'T USE RAID 0. It gets more fragile the more disks are connected together. I don't feel like regurgitating the mathematical explanation right now, a 10-second google search will give you all the info you ever wanted. Always use RAID 1 or higher for the array your OS/personal data will reside on; RAID 0 is only suitable for storing data that it doesn't matter if it disappears forever and without warning.

5. lowfat

For an OS, there is no real reason to not go w/ RAID0. You can easily keep your pictures n' shit on another drive. Which I would always suggest so anyways. Especially on an SSD that has very limited space. W/ a good backup in place you could recover from a failed array in a couple of hours.

6. thekraft

thekraft New Member

That's why he said not to use RAID 0 unless you don't care about the data. Frankly, even with backups, i don't consider RAID 0 worthwhile at all. The benefit is small, and the risk is big. You could get more out of RAID 10 or RAID 5 with redundancy AND speed.

7. lowfat

It is an OS drive. You have no real reason to keep critical data on it anyways.

8. spahndirge

The main reason I was considering RAID 0 was to use it for my OS. I never keep any important data on my OS drive. That's why I bought a small raptor.

Looking at lowfat's post has made me go for the x25-M.

9. deusexaethera

Most of your user profile is stored on the OS drive whether you want it there or not, even if you relocate your My Documents folder. Also, I tend to consider the hours and days I spend tweaking the OS to be valuable enough to save. Even if I have a backup -- even if I have automatic backups -- and I can restore the OS in a couple of hours, I still have to spend a couple of hours restoring the backup. If I have a RAID 1+, I just hit "Rebuild" on the RAID controller and keep working while the array rebuilds itself.

Remember, it's not just physical failure that can trash a RAID; even if the disk takes too long to respond to the controller's requests for data, the controller will mark the disk as failed and you have to rebuild the array. Except with RAID 0, you can't rebuild the array.

10. lowfat

You can move all your user information except for the appdata folder (which can be moved w/ a little bit of work), which everyone should have a backup anyways.

It I lost my boot drive right now, I could have a fully functioning OS in about an hour. I have a copy of all my applications on a network drive as well as a copy of my appdata folder, which I sync once a day.

1. Install OS (off flash drive). 20 min for Win7.
    2. Install applications (off network drive via gigabit). 20 minutes.
    3. Copy appdata folder over. 2 minutes.
    4. 18 minutes left to do the very few settings left to change.
    5. Profit. :mamoru:

Reinstalls should be pain free as long as you have everything setup correctly. And as long as you do, there is nothing wrong w/ RAID0.

11. thekraft

thekraft New Member

:bigthumb: That's a pretty awesome setup.

Lots of people don't have
    1. a network drive or server
    2. gigabit network
    3. technical knowhow
    though. It's not always going to be that easy, though it can be.

12. deusexaethera

Yes, you can take lots of steps to protect yourself against failure and to minimize the risk of failure, or you can just buy another disk and set up a RAID 3/5 instead, and failure will no longer be a concern at all.

It's interesting to talk about how RAID 0 could be implemented in an ideal scenario, but that doesn't make it any more practical compared to other solutions. The cost:benefit ratio (including costs in time and preparation, not just hardware) simply isn't there, which is why people don't use RAID 0 for anything important.

13. lowfat

You could always just use another internal hard drive. Not as secure, but still better than nothing.

Personally I don't trust any sort RAID. Even when I use to use a 16 drive RAID6 (+1 hot spare), there were times I was very close to loosing the entire array due to controller issues. I'd much rather have a good backup of every thing. Not the most affordable thing though, for for an small SSD RAID0, having a few hundred GB for a good backup isn't all that much.

14. thekraft

thekraft New Member

Frankly, it's good to have a backup regardless of whether you're using RAID 0 or not. I need go and upgrade to gigabit one of these days and make it easier. :(

RAID arrays are a lot more useful for a company than for an individual. It's just too expensive having a decent RAID array for redundancy, when backups are usually good enough, and most people really don't get the full use of the read boost for RAID.

15. DIABLOS

DIABLOS New Member

Don't use RAID0 on any drives that has'nt got garbage collection built into the firmware as TRIM DOE'S NOT work with an SSD that is in a RAID array so your array will be continually losing performance and the only way to fix it is to break the array and reformat the drives and reinstall everything or from a image saved on another drive.

16. lowfat

Not correct. They will drop once all the cells have been filled, but they don't continue to drop in performance. X25-V/M's dont have ITGC but the drop in performance is very minimal.