SSD Performance

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, Jun 13, 2008.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

So here is where SSD performance is now....

Comparison on 6 SSD vendors and 15k Fibre Channel drive and a 7.2K SATA drive..

EDIT: graphs removed

Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

it seems like those graphs should go longer than 1M, especially since some of them have quite the slope going when it ends.

3. dissonance

Normal testing for enterprise data storage products uses files of 4KB and 512KB. Some use 256KB and 1024KB files, just depends on who is doing the testing.

This graphs are just to examine the options out there now so the graphs show the entire range of what benchmark people use.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Vendor A's SSD looks the most promising.

5. dissonance

How, Vendor F beats them in every graph..

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

touche. For some reason I saw the blue and thought it was the 15k FC. But indeed it is a different shade of blue and a different shape :rofl:

7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

So did I, actually. I didn't notice my error til dissonance said something about it.

Dare I ask who these vendors are and how big the drives are, and how much they cost?

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I know Sun is getting into SSDs with a vengence. I like Sun hardware (although it's too rich for my blood).

9. dissonance

- "Dare I ask who these vendors are": can't say

- "how big the drives are": they are either 73GB, 146GB, or 300GB 3.5" drives. Those are the capacities we are looking at now and I'm not sure which ones were used in the testing.

- "how much they cost?": All I can say is that we markup the price some and sell to OEMs who then markup the price to the end-users. Estimating markups (not sure really how they will be done on SSD drives but I assume similar/same as is done on disc drives) they will be in the upper-mid-teen-thousands to the mid-thiry-thousands per drive for orders of 500+ (this is also our initial pricing so I'm sure it would decrease once we get some volume... there just isn't much of a market for them right now except for the extreme high-end and military).

10. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

recently discussed this with EMC. they said for SSD disk in a DMX, expect 30x cost for 25x performance. so, at this cost they are still a very niche product, useful only in areas with extremely high IO requirements.

what i'd like to see is a comparison of sequential IOs instead of strictly random. i know the SSD storage blows away disk for random due to the inherent latency of head moves, but once you get a 15k drive spewing sequential data it can do very high amounts of IO.