:squint: They put Splenda in my Protein

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Maestro Nobones, Jul 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

goddamn it. I wondered why it tasted different... last batch I got was all natural, tasted good. Now it has that artificial taste, and not to mention the fact that I don't trust the shit and don't want to ingest it on a regular basis. Bastards.

2. nathanbx

nathanbx New Member

3. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

Splenda is fine for you since it is derived from real sugar, its technically not an artifical sweetner.

If its that bad call the retailer and see if you can exchange it. UNless of course it was your fault.

4. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

What brand is it? I'll be sure to never buy from those bastards

5. blam

blam New Member

How is it 'technically not an artifical sweetener'. It is not a simple sugar yet provides sweetness thereofre it is an 'artifical sweetener'.

FYI, I am not against splenda and I think it is safe but the whole made from sugar thing is utter bs. You do realize that the reactions that sugar must be put through to end up as sucralose(the sweetener in splenda) are pretty damn complex.

Infact for PURE sucralose you would be paying near 100 for a few grams. Yep sure sounds like it is easily produced and completely natural to me.

6. cavefish

cavefish You ain't a crook son, you just a shook one

Splenda tastes pretty much the same as sugar to me.

I think all the hype about artificial sweeteners is overblown, the only websites I see claiming splenda is bad for you are holistic bullshit new age hippie propaganda sites.

Anyhow, it may be "made from sugar" but it doesn't look very similar to me:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Maybe some of you chemistry majors can set me straight.

7. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

omg its an organic chem cluster fuck....thanks fish

8. PurEvl

PurEvl going out gassed and not half assed...

:rofl: werd

9. blam

blam New Member

It is a sucrose molecule (fructose bound to glucose) w/ three of the hydroyxl (OH) groups replaced by Chlorine atoms.

10. PurEvl

All right everyone, we found the undercover nerd in F&N thanks for all the help. He will be dragged out by his pocket protector. Remain calm please

11. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

sooooooooo....how do i make it into test

i got a funnel and some heet from wal mart

12. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

What I mean by that is it is actually derived directly from suger without any other stuff added. It really boils down to your definition of "artificial". Either way its still not bad for ya and taste fine.

On a side note buy lots of splenda, the engineering firm I work for does alot of work for the company that manufactures splenda. So when more splenda is consumed we get more work thus I get more hours and get to blow more money on stuff like crunkers/belts/briefs etc.

13. blam

blam New Member

The ladies love the pocket protector, plus it adds 50 pounds to my squat:hsd:

14. PurEvl

damn you nerds, you always get the ladies

15. zysus

zysus New Member

Geek math for you:
    Nerd + Gym = Chick Magnet.

16. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Splenda doesn't have an aftertaste to me. I would blame the taste on something more like the flavouring or the whey concentration first.

17. Elfling

Elfling New Member

:rofl::rofl: Nerds can be broly too!

18. Maestro Nobones

I can taste splenda in anything it's in. Has the same artificial taste that aspartame etc have, to me. I hate it. Honestly the last just that was naturally sweetened tasted 100% better. Now I'm stuck with 8 lbs of this splenda sweetened shit. :hs: Oh well. I'm sure it won't kill me but I'd much rather just have sugar or fructose or something natural.

19. Maestro Nobones

oh, and it's SportPharma lactose free whey protein isolate.

20. TheMustafa

TheMustafa hook 'em

[​IMG]

Ok, here it is. Above is the sucrose molecule previously posted with the changes made to create sucralose.

The two diagrams cavefish posted of sucrose and sucralose were not drawn in the same fashion, so they don't look the same. But, basically, the three redded-out groups are what is replaced with a chlorine atom in sucralose (ie splenda). There are no other changes to the molecule.

A few things about sucralose/splenda:

1. Chlorine is not toxic for you unless its chlorine gas, in which case you are probably in Iraq getting mustard gas pelted at you. Tons of things you eat have chlorine atoms in them, including (gasp) table salt. In fact, chloride ions (Cl-) are essential for the functioning of your body, most notably your nervous system. So anyone who is like "OMG CHLORINE" is retarded.

2. Your taste buds are pretty non-specific in terms of binding, so a diverse array of molecules will bind to them and ellicit a taste response. Therefore, this slightly modified sugar is still close enough to the original to bind to the same taste buds and cause the same taste response. In fact, it binds to these taste buds more tightly, making it 500x sweeter than sucrose. So, if people think sucralose has an aftertaste, its probably something else added to whatever they are eating, or a mental thing, as the same tastebuds are being stimulated in the same way.

3. Most things you eat, including all sugars, are absorbed into your body from your digestive tract via extremely specific protein channels or other mechanisms specific for that molecule. They dont just cross into your blood; there is an extremely large amount of specificity there to prevent toxic things from entering your body. Because your digestive tract is so specific, the molecular changes in sucralose from sucrose prevent almost all of it from being digested and absorbed the same way sucrose is. Therefore, it will simply pass out of your body as shit.

So, take home msg: sucralose tastes the same, is not absorbed into the body, and is completely safe.

This should be a main forum educational sticky, shit.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  21. PurEvl

I know, im one of them :rofl:

22. ACURA TL-S

ACURA TL-S OT Supporter

Don't worry about splenda, don't worry about aspartame, if you are going to worry about an artificial sweetener, the only one that has some justification for worry is acesulfame potassium (ace-k). However, I don't see you guys worrying about getting skin cancer when you leave work to walk to your car in the sun and this has a much more mutagenic affect than ace-k.

23. ryazbeck

ryazbeck New Member

pretty much everyone here is a nerd, who dedicates themselves to something more than nerds?

24. Maestro Nobones

well about the aftertaste, or even just the taste, I can pick up a product I don't know contains sucralose, take one drink, and say, "this has splenda in it" then check the label, bam, sucralose. :dunno:

25. HoldEmRules

HoldEmRules New Member

Splenda is chlorinated sugar. Some people can't metabolize and eliminate it as fast as msot people so it can be dangerous.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.