squats: any tips or tricks to finding the G spot?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by kit99bar, Feb 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

I haven't done back squats in about 4 months and I'm about to start again tonight. I used to do them super wide but I stopped because my quads were weak (did front squats for a while instead) and when I hit parallel it was uncomfortable on my groin. I'm looking to get a closer stance squat and wanted advice from the expert squaters on their feet position for a2g and parallel squats. :bowdown: thanks in advance for any tips.

2. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

3. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

I recently just found my sweetspot on my squats. It turns out I can best handle the weight with a shoulder width stance. Going narrower turns out to be even better but the distance needed to squat the weight becomes greater. Feet at about 70-80 degrees out. Sit back on the heels and dig your heels into the ground before you unrack it. Pop it out of the rack, walk it back and readjust your feet.

Begin the descent slowly, and load the weight into your glutes, hams, quads, (just like you would lower a bench while loading pressure into your tris and chest before you press) and then explode upward pushing your heels through the floor. Get the ass out, make sure your upper body is as upright as possible and hold your air for tightness. Sometimes I'll take short controlled and tight breaths on my way up. This seems to help sometimes (not sure why). Your face should be decently red after a good 5rm set of 80% 1rm.

My squat is as naturally low as I can go, which for me, is a good deal below parallel. I'd suggest playing around with stances and finding and sticking to a good ritual that would get your squat setup right and tight. For warmups i throw on a plate per side and just sit there in the hole for 8 reps before I pyramid upwards. This is what has worked for me. I find wide PL stance squats to be VERY difficult on my groin. I just can't squat that way. Hope this helps.

4. eXyle

eXyle ׂ

i'm certainly no expert squatter or anything of the sort. however, I have a "natural" spacing between my feet. whenever i walk around and stop, my feet are always the same distance apart. when i "squat" down to sit on a chair or on the toilet, my feet are again spaced out the same.

my feet are about shoulder width apart with my toes slightly pointed outwards. this is the same position i use for squatting and simply go down as far as i can, which is lower than parallel.

so, just try to notice how you naturally walk around, how you sit and pay attention to how far your feet are spaced out and try that same position for squatting and see if it works for you.

:dunno:

5. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

i have a habit of putting my right leg more forward so i always end up adjusting. It feels "out of place" when it is actually in place correctly.

6. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

:bowrofl: my first title change thread

thanks to all that replied (especially Chicken), I'm try those things out when I go tonight!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.