squat stance (+survery)

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Mojo, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mojo

Mojo New Member

im curious to know how other peoples stances are when doing squats.

1) are you toes pointing forward, slightly outward, or more outward?

2) how low do you go and why? (is ass to the grass really worth that extra strength when your building muscle?)

3) close grip, wide grip, or doesnt matter?

4) where exactly do you place the bar and why?

5) *optional* how many lbs can you squat? (+reps). how much you weigh/height?

im having trouble keeping my stance straight, i try not to lean forward but it helps me keeping the bar balance. i have the bar places right below the neck and above the shoulder blades. any advice?

2. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

1) toes should alwasy point slightly outward
    2) matters what you are trying to develop, different depths transfer load to differnt muscles
    3)depends how big you are and again how you are skwatting, oly squats=close pl squats = wide for the lower bar placement
    4)ughh there is a ridge above your delts that is formed by squeezing your scapula together, this is the general area where the bar should rest
    5) 1 pound x 7 millions reps

3. ralyks

ralyks New Member

1) Maybe slightly outward, they're pretty straight
    2) Just above parallel
    3) I like wide grip with a lower weight, it feels better, but when I'm going for a PR or heavier weight I keep it where I set it when I pick the bar up (the line)
    4) On my back where my shoulder blades are, because that's what I was taught to do
    5) 365x5, 185lbs 6'2

Stick your ass out son.

4. SteveO

SteveO Guest

prove it

5. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

no, toes should always point out at least 10-15 degrees, watch oly lifters with super narrow stances, they still point out. The reason is the same that people say to spread the floor, it helps prevent the knees from coming in when you drive out of the hole. As you sit down your knees should pread at the same angle your feet are pointed and then on the way up spread the floor etc.

6. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

I have video but it is 8 hours and 70 gigs,

who wants to host?

:mamoru:

7. Mojo

Mojo New Member

great advice. i tried sticking my ass out, thats when i start to lean forward. my back is arched, but i would say where my head is at, is where my feet are. like my feet is right under my nose if i were to look down while doing my squats. does this sound about right?

8. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Don't look at your feet (except at the start to make sure they're placed right. Pick a spot on the wall/mirror, keep your eyes on it and your head level and squat. Press through your heels, don't lean forward onto your tiptoes.

9. Gotcha38

Gotcha38 OT Supporter

1. Toes point slightly outward.
    2. Not quite ass to grass.
    3. Wider grip than I bench with. Helps me control the weight better I think. That, and it's just more comfortable.
    4. On that mound of muscle that forms when I squeeze my shoulder blades together. I'm assuming thats your traps.
    5.170x5 reps. 6'0 150lbs on my bathroom scale.

10. milani

milani "The best activities for your health are pumping a

Leaning forward is not necessarily a terrible thing, just don't lead too far forward. Otherwise you turn it into a squat/GM. Try to strengthen your core and lower back. Also, wear a belt, and get a belly full of air to press against the belt. This helps stabilize your core...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.