squat flexibility

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by º¿º, Jun 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. º¿º

º¿º OT Supporter

so recently ive been wanting to go from a parallel squat to a full squat, and plain and simple - i am not flexible enough.

i put 5 lb plates on the floor and put my heels on them and am able to go with the full motion, but if i take those away i can not even come close.

what are some stretches or possibly lifts that would help me achieve this flexibility?

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

what worked for me was gaining mobility in a few problem areas but more so learning to balance by changing my posture and a few things.

Tight hip flexors = stretch hip flexors
    Anterior pelvic tilt = flex abs and glutes, strengthen abs, stretch hip flexors
    Tight calves = stretch calves/achilles

I still have a ways to go in order for me to be satisfied with my range of motion, but I'm pretty close... I just feel like tehre's a little bit of a good morning when I go real heavy.

3. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

4. ACLdestroyer

ACLdestroyer OT Supporter

My flexibility is alright. My knees want to bend inwards on moderate to heavy squats though. ITs pissing me off.

5. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

i have this problem, and its caused by my weak hips

i do full rom front squats with 10 to 15 reps per set and i go as light as I have to in order to have perfect form

i've made a lot of progress and one of the things that helped the most was doing full range of motion squats with no weight and having something in front of me i could hold onto at the bottom so i dont fall over. i've found this to be an especially effective warm-up to get everything moving, especially my weak and tight hips

6. Sims.0

Sims.0 New Member

I have the same problem as well, I can definitely feel my hip flexors are tight, does anyone have some good suggestions for how to stretch them? I usually just put one knee on the floor and the opposite foot planted on the ground in front and lean as far forward as I can.

7. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

8. º¿º

º¿º OT Supporter

thanks for all the feedback, will have to try the bodyweight squats and various stretches before tomorrows workout.

i always did a warmup set with the bar but that didnt seem to help, since i could only get low enough with my heels on a plate

9. spdrcr

spdrcr OT Supporter

That video has helped me break through a plateau in my squats. Now, I'm much more conscious of squatting between my legs.

10. Gohan4862

Gohan4862 New Member

if the plates under each foot help, ankle mobility is the issue.

stretch the soleus and gastroc

also stretch, glutes, adductors, quads/hip flexors, hams....itb work wouldn't go astray either.

11. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

<-----

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.