Squat and power clean form check

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by neb, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neb

neb I'm a banana OT Supporter

I've been doing Rippetoe's starting strength routine for a month. Just wanted to get any advice/comments on my form. Before a month ago I had never done power cleans before and had done squats but not correctly.

Squat
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAGPzBZRDjA

Power clean
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCIaQkfv8CY

I usually have access to a power rack and olympic bar and decent weights. But the gym is closed today, so I thought I'd take the time to video my form making do with what gear I have at home.

I think my squat form is ok, don't know if I need to come down just a little bit lower? And unsure if my knee position/back position is right? Also the last couple reps were tough, you can see I was slow getting up.

Power cleans I think my form still needs a fair bit of work. I don't think I'm getting my elbows out in front fast enough, and I feel like I sometimes pull with my arms when I know I shouldn't.

2. siniquezu

siniquezu New Member

looks fine for a good start. I would try and push my knees out a bit.

3. Psyc0

Psyc0 TTKA

This is true. It looks like you aren't snapping under the bar like you should. It seems like you are almost curling the bar to your body at the top of the movement, which works fine with lighter weights but you need to work on the top of the motion. You raising the weight with your arms and "catching" it at the top with your hands. You want to get the lift and get under the bar and "catch" more with your shoulders, it seems like you are trying to lower the weight to your body instead of getting your body under it. The chick in this video actually has pretty good form.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TlbDQUWs0s

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. drumbandit

drumbandit New Member

http://www.startingstrength.com/resources/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129

You can post these vids on Rippetoe's forum and he'll critique you himself. I think he'll say that your squat depth is shit, which can be corrected by pushing your knees out more. And you're going too fast on your power cleans. The jump starts when the bar is above your knee cap. Also the bar needs to scrape your shins.

5. neb

Thanks Psyco, that video shows the difference clearly. I'm definitely catching it more in my hands and then pushing it on to my shoulders, rather than catching it directly on my shoulders.

And thanks drumbandit, will try and concentrate on those points more, and will post them up on the starting strength forum

6. kilian

kilian You've got quite a treasure there in that Horadric OT Supporter

Squat:
    0:14 --> starting position --> chest is a bit forward, already bent at waist (not in a good way)
    0:15-0:16 --> descent is ok but you're dropping down as you drop back. try to exaggerate hips back first and your body will follow down. back not down.
    0:17 --> bottom is fine, work on spreading knees out for more comfortable depth
    0:18-0:20 --> ascent is ok, one thing i needed to learn when i started out is how to spread my knees. think like a bench you spread the bar out with your hands. try to spread the floor out with your feet through your knees. this will prevent them from caving in and will exaggerate your hips coming up and forward, giving you better drive out of your heels.

take this all with a grain of salt until someone more experienced confirms it... just going on what i've been taught

7. drickz

drickz chunkin the deuce

Your squat seems okay. The first thing thats apparent is you can definitely go lower. Your wrist don't seem correct either and maybe the bar could sit lower on your back. You don't want your wrist bent and supporting the weight of the bar. The weight of the bar is supported by your back and your hands are just there to hold it there. Your grip seems too wide too, you want to keep your hands close to your body so that it contracts your back and creates a good base for the bar to sit on.

Power clean looks a lot worse. You might want to work on your deadlift first, your back is kinda round and maybe you're not bending at the hips enough. Remember to keep the bar close to your body and keep your arms straight until you jump. Jump -> shrug -> then pull the bar up and bring your elbows forward. Your rack is looking bad too, looks way too controlled, you're suppose to catch the bar with your shoulders. Looks like you're just pulling the bar up with your arms and adding a hop in the process.

Keep practicing bro, IDK if you've actually read starting strength but I highly recommend reading it to correct your form.

8. neb

Thanks all for the detailed advice, I'm going to take all of this on board and record my form again in a week or two.

Drickz I have read starting strength, but I think I need to read over each of the 5 lifts again. The book goes into so much detail, which is great, but it's difficult to remember everything

9. ices

ices New Member

Regarding your power clean, I'd suggest starting with a hang clean. Why? Even though you should be able to poweclean more than hang clean, it's a more technical/complicated lift. Get the hang of the hang clean first, the triple extension, shrug, etc. Practice getting the rack across your shoulders right too. Your fingertips should only be for balancing the bar, not catching. Also, don't be afraid to raise the weight a bit. I didn't really understand getting under the bar for the catch until I was forced to, since I couldn't move it high enough. Raise the weight slowly though, too high at first and you risk catching awkwardly and straining your wrists.

I'd move to powercleans once you can hangclean 135 so you can take advantage of the bigger plates.

10. SuperDump250

SuperDump250 New Member

Stand wider on your quat and you're not flexible enough or something...your knees are coming forward an ass ton. You're bending at your knees, instead try to have flexion/bend at your hip. So stand wider, toes pointed out a bit and break your butt back while trying to "spread the floor" with your feet to activate your hips more. And get a video of you going heavier, everyone's form can be good with lighter weights, your true form comes out when it's closer to like a 85% 1RM or so.

11. Dairyman

Dairyman OT Supporter

Squat is shit get waayyyy deeeeper

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.