Sql...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by rumperpumper, Jul 11, 2004.

1. rumperpumper

rumperpumper New Member

I want to start to teach my self all about SQL and was wondering if any one could suggest a web site or a book to get in order for me to complete my endeavour.

:bigthumb:

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If you want a hands on approach, you can start with access designing your own queries using the wizards. Once the query has been generated you can look at the SQL code it creates. From there, you can design the query by hand without using the wizards. Even though I can do it by hand, I usually start with the query builder because it eliminates typos. Once you have the basic SQL language down, everything else is pretty easy.

3. rumperpumper

rumperpumper New Member

so in IT is it a valuable knowledge?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Depends on what you do in IT. If you load OS and software on computers all day, no. If you deal with any open ended databases, then ya, it's a must have. It's like asking is HTML useful, well it's not if you never deal with webpages. On the other hand I was just working on a project that required me to modify some html code to submit a POST form. Ultimately what I was doing was grabbing data off a website, but without having to manually type in all of the info by hand. So, although I don't deal with programming web sites at all, it was necessary for me to learn it the basics to get what I ultimately wanted to do. Since I've been around computers for over 20 years, I also know batch programming very well. It's a lost art form IMHO because you can do a lot with batch programming that would require either VB or a form of C+ to do.

Anyway I'm going off topic here, all I can tell you is that having a basic understanding of a lot of tools allows you to pick the best one for each job.

5. rumperpumper

rumperpumper New Member

cool man thanks for all your help:bigthumb: