SQL Server Express password help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Aug 13, 2008.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I need some help trying to add another instance to SQL server express so we can run a new application. I have no clue what I am doing.

There is already an instance GRFP2\SQLEXPRESS. Can I add the new database to that or do I need to add another?

When I run the setup for the app, it asks for the sql server info. I put in the instance above, but it will not take the admin login and password. I have tried everything including DOMAIN\Administrator. It keeps giving me the error saying that the connection cannot be established.

I'm have a service ticket open with the vendor and I am waiting for them to call but this is driving me crazy.

I don't think they'll be much help since it's a password issue.

Any help?

Sorry for the rant, I'll try and explain better if you need me to.

2. SLED

SLED custom title

shouldn't be any reason to add a completely new instance unless the vendor requires it for some weird reason. i'm assuming you can connect to your SQLEXPRESS instance with that user/pass through a tool like query analyzer or management studio?

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

When I go through management studio, the user shows domain\administrator and the password shows blank. Windows authentication is selected. It does connect there...

I get an error when I try to open enterprise manager. It says something like can't initialize snap-in. Is that where, the query analyzer is?

4. SLED

SLED custom title

i'm guessing you're running sql 2005. query analyzer was a sql 2000 app for running ad hoc queries, so ignore that.

try creating a new user on the server with a known password, give him access to the appropriate database (for the software) and see if that works.

it's in your best interest to run that software as a caged user anyway. instead of the domain admin which probably has god like access on your sql instance

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Got it figured out.... I had to go into the server properties and change the login mode to Windows authentication and SQL authentication. I set the sa password and then had to enable the account.