SQL Server Express password help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cmsurfer, Aug 13, 2008.

1. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I need some help trying to add another instance to SQL server express so we can run a new application. I have no clue what I am doing.

There is already an instance GRFP2\SQLEXPRESS. Can I add the new database to that or do I need to add another?

When I run the setup for the app, it asks for the sql server info. I put in the instance above, but it will not take the admin login and password. I have tried everything including DOMAIN\Administrator. It keeps giving me the error saying that the connection cannot be established.

I'm have a service ticket open with the vendor and I am waiting for them to call but this is driving me crazy.

I don't think they'll be much help since it's a password issue.

Any help?

Sorry for the rant, I'll try and explain better if you need me to.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

shouldn't be any reason to add a completely new instance unless the vendor requires it for some weird reason. i'm assuming you can connect to your SQLEXPRESS instance with that user/pass through a tool like query analyzer or management studio?

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

When I go through management studio, the user shows domain\administrator and the password shows blank. Windows authentication is selected. It does connect there...

I get an error when I try to open enterprise manager. It says something like can't initialize snap-in. Is that where, the query analyzer is?

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

i'm guessing you're running sql 2005. query analyzer was a sql 2000 app for running ad hoc queries, so ignore that.

try creating a new user on the server with a known password, give him access to the appropriate database (for the software) and see if that works.

it's in your best interest to run that software as a caged user anyway. instead of the domain admin which probably has god like access on your sql instance

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Got it figured out.... I had to go into the server properties and change the login mode to Windows authentication and SQL authentication. I set the sa password and then had to enable the account.