SQL Server 2005 DBA's? I has a question! It's about Transaction Logs

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HardTech, Jul 30, 2008.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I need to import a file with an application that has SQL Server as a database. Before I enabled Transaction Logs, I was able to import a 440 MB file pretty quickly, within 3 minutes. Now that I have Transaction Logs enabled, the same file takes about an hour to import, and it errors out when it's done.

My question: is there a way to temporarily disable Transaction Logs for an entire database server? This can be done right after the transaction logs are backed up.

The application I'm referring to is eRoom, btw.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You should be able to attach the database without any transaction files - they're only there to restore the transactions since the last backup of a corrupted database. Assuming no corruption, the mdf is all you need :dunno:

3. HardTech

HardTech hungry

the files I'm talking about are not imported directly into a database. Instead, all of that is handled through a web-based application. I just simply browse for the file and start to upload.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

how are you importing the data? for files that big you should be using BULK COPY. If you're using that, and don't have a need to keep those operations in the transaction log, then you can tell it not to record to the T-log. check this out:

http://www.mssqlcity.com/Tips/bulk_copy_optimization.htm