SQL question.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by deusexaethera, Nov 17, 2009.

1. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

SQL is just one of those things I've never quite been able to grasp properly.

In this case, I have two tables:

QUERY_MINOR
    --------------
    id
    query_major
    query_minor

MITIGATION_MEASURES
    -----------------------
    id
    query_major
    query_minor

- - -

MITIGATION_MEASURES is the main table, and QUERY_MINOR is a lookup table. MITIGATION_MEASURES.query_minor should show a pick-list of values from QUERY_MINOR.query_minor, but I want the pick list to be filtered to only include records where QUERY_MINOR.query_major = MITIGATION_MEASURES.query_major field in the active row. How the hell do I do this?

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

if i understand your question correctly, which i probably don't given your obfuscated explanation, you should do something like this:

select a.query_minor from mitigation_measures a inner join query_minor b on a.query_major = b.query_major

3. deusexaethera

I'll try again to explain. Like I said, SQL is not my thing.

Let's say the user selected "Bomb Detection" for the query_major field. I want the query_minor field to display a pick-list of records from the QUERY_MINOR table that fall under the "Bomb Detection" category.

I don't understand what you're doing with the letters 'a' and 'b' in the query you posted. What are they for?

4. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i'm just giving aliases for those table names so i don't have to keep calling them mitigation_measures and query_minor

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

you want SQL to display a picklist?

hmm.. I think you're mixing up the technologies. You can return a list of QUERY_MINOR values if QUERY_MAJOR is a particular value:

Code:
     select distinct query_minor.query_minor where mitigation_measure.query_major = query_minor.query_major
    are you talking about a particular application? Like Access or Excel?

6. deusexaethera

Yes, it's in Access. When the user clicks in the query_minor field, I want Access to grab the value from the query_major field in the same record and show a filtered list of records from the lookup table that have matching query_major values.