SQL masters.. I need help

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by HardTech, Sep 19, 2007.

1. HardTech

HardTech hungry

I'm supposed to replace a Crystal Reports developer at work in 2 weeks. The thing is, I have 0 knowledge of Crystal Reports, and about "select * from parts" knowledge of SQL. I'm pretty sure I need a very firm grasp of both.

What's the best way to go about learning as much as I can about SQL? I mean, I've written the "select * from <table> where <column> = <condition> order by <column>", but seriously that's the only thing I've done so far. I know about joins and unions, but right now it's more of a "learn what you NEED"

2. michelin man

michelin man IDB Construction

if i'm not mistaken, there is a gui for crystal that will write all the code for you.

i've HAD to create a few reports and update a few in crystal and didnt have any issues.

~~~ i would NEVER use crystal if i had a choice in reporting tools~~~

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, I'd say pick up a good reference/book. Otherwise, I learned SQL simply by "here's my data, here's what I want the result to be.... how do I get that"

Not sure if that approach works for you.

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

that's pretty much what I'm doing now... but I'm also having a hard time getting from "I got the data I want!" to "I'm outputting the data in Crystal Reports"

5. HardTech

HardTech hungry

it's gui-based, but I also need to know which tables have which information, and it's hard as hell to determine that without doing a lot of digging. I'm working with a database that contains over 200 tables, and I have no idea which tables act as dimension and fact tables.

5 months ago, my only reporting experience has been Excel. At my new company, they've had me learn Cognos and Crystal Reports. I was supposed to replace a Cognos reports developer, but she never schedules time with me to go over some reports. I've been transferred to a new team, and they have a Crystal Reports contractor who they're looking to get rid of ASAP, and need someone to fill in. What better candidate than someone with absolutely no experience?

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I'm certainly no SQL expert but I found it actually quite easy to learn once I got used to it...which didn't take long. If you are using Oracle, one great thing I found was to always google the error code. Oracle usually spits out an error code with the following ORA: 12345...or something similar. Every time I googled that, I found my answer.

We used the chapter in our DB textbook to get the basics then just looked for tutorials online. I'm sure there's much more you can do with SQL than I'm able to do but I'm still learning it so....

7. HardTech

HardTech hungry

actually, I'm not quite sure what we use as a database server. I use SQL Server Management Studio to connect to it, and our other databases are SQL Server, so that's probably what we use.

fuck I'm so lost. I'm not even sure I need mastery of SQL.

we have a DBA who's responsible for the database I'm going to be interacting with, so I guess it's not a big deal. I need to focus on Crystal.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Can you talk to the DBA and get suggestions from him??

9. HardTech

HardTech hungry

yeah, that's basically what I'm supposed to do. He's not on-site, though, so all communication will go through e-mail, which isn't as personal as talking face-to-face.

It's all good though, as long as I learn Crystal I should be OK.