SQL Headache

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by cbanta, Feb 20, 2010.

1. cbanta

cbanta New Member

we have a Single Signon software that uses SQL to replicate its database to the secondary server. At some point the cluster names got changed (i don't have a clue how or when) to "(local)" which isn't a SQL approved name. I don't know a lick about SQL so I've been working with Symantec (the vendor) to try to get this working. Their tech support "doesn't support SQL" (even though its a main component of their software and the reason we have SQL) but they are trying to help. they told me to delete the server registration and register it using the actual server name. Does anyone know how this will affect the setup? If I do it with users connected to the server or will this screw it all up? If possible I'd like to do it this weekend when we have the fewest users on (we have users connected all the time) if anyone has input I'd appreciate it!

Thanks!

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

(local) often means localhost, or the local computer - are you sure its a hostname?

3. cbanta

cbanta New Member

I do agree that its refering to the local computer, the message I get indicates that its using the (local) as a database name (I'm no expert though) I linked to a picture of the setup (the picture is a weird size or i'd embed it) on all the documentation i have the servers in the cluster should be nicknamed their actual name (ie. nsuite1; nsuite2; nsuite3). I'm going to pull it out of the cluster to do this, but I don't have much time because when we do that, authentication starts to fail (due to the lack of replication)
    My main concerns are:
    can i do this without bringing it out of cluster? (i assume no)

will this affect the database?

how much of a bitch is setting up replication and all that?

lastly, does anyone know how that name would just change?

Here's the picture of what it currently looks like, on the let there should be another server in the group, but the (local) thing is screwing things up

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p2/rangerhottie/sqlissue.jpg

4. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

okay, do exactly as it says...

close the "local) Windows NT" and ignore it (or remove it, but you shoudlnt have to just yet..).

right click on SQL Server Group, add a new server registration, use the machine's correct hostname, not local, enter in the login / password, then expand that one in the list & you can check your replication settings.

5. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you are using enterprise manager, a tool that connects to mssql servers. removing a server from the list does not delete the server, it just removes the connection used by that software.

6. cbanta

cbanta New Member

k sweet, how much is involved in setting up the connections? is there anything i should be wary of?

7. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

Hostname, username, password. thats it. and no, nothing as setting up the connection itself doesn't change the server.. perhaps you should buy a book on sql server if you have to make any changes.

8. cbanta

cbanta New Member

Thanks Mob! I'm thinking I'll just wait for One of our server guys to help me with it, i was kinda hoping to do it lone wolf, but I think its in our best interest that i don't haha.