SQL application runs like crap

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DustinInTheWind, Mar 18, 2009.

1. hello all.
    i work for a company where we use a SQL based application. we are having some huge performance issues with it.
    one item i am trying to investigate is the i/o write bytes sql is doing, but i am not sure what should be 'acceptable' and in what time frame.

any ideas or is this just an arbitrary question? thanks.

2. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

Not much detail... but there are performance tuning applications that come with SQL you can look into. Sounds like some better DB design and careful indexing might do you some good

3. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

disk contention? this running a local software based raid 5 set or something?

4. No it is a scsi attached san
    (dell powervault)

5. also please forgive me, i am net admin, not a sql guy, but how would indexing come into play? (in a nutshell)
    basically, what can i tell the developers to focus on?

6. SLED

you should prob try to figure out where the problem is first. either disk or sql performance.

7. SLED

did your developers write said application? seems like I'd go to them first to see which queries are causing the slow down, etc

8. yea our developers wrote it. basically i have to prove though that it is not the network or the server the database is on.
    during slow times, i dont see any issues with cpu usage or memory usage, but my boss is asking about i/o, which i dont have a lot of idea about...
    i just need to clear my name lol

9. SLED

I'd look at the server's System Monitor and see what kind of Disk activity you're getting.... Control Panel -> Admin Tools -> Performance

.... assuming it's a windows box. If not, look into the appropriate tools for your OS

10. its a windows box and it's microsoft sql.
    thanks faceman, i am going to check the time performance counter. what is an acceptable wait time there?

i am starting to lean towards the development side as being an issue and not our server.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Is this a compiled app or an interpreted script?