Sql 2000 / Multi Proc Question

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FLY-FAST, Jan 13, 2004.

1. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

Hi Guys:

I'm running SQL 2000 on a windows 2000 server(Dell Power Edge), and the server is absolutely bogged down. My question is can demand of the SQL application be distributed over the two processors? SQL is virtually the only thing that is running on the machine and the thing monopolizing all the resources.

Why / why not?

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Hit Ctrl+Alt+Del and check the processor usage. If it is pegged then you will benifit from making it an SMP machine (I assume SQL 2000 is threaded). If it isn't pegged then your slowness is coming from somewhere else. Slow/bad drives are anoter thing that can slow down db machines.

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I want to say yes it can, but its been a while.

I would ask a couple questions before hardware upgrading:

- Have the queries been optimized? How many table scans are they doing?
    - How many queries is the server processing per hour/minute/second? If its just getting hammered, then hardware will help to some degree.

Your bottle neck may actually be at the hard drives depending on what that server is doing and how its configured. In same cases, having a super huge amount of RAM and just shoving the database in RAM does wonders (you do DB replication every X number of minutes back to the hard drive).

Just because the CPU is pegged doesn't mean adding more CPU power will solve the problem.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yup, make sure that SQL is actually pegging the CPU and not other processes. And yes sql2000 will take advantage of an SMP environment. I do believe you have to upgrade to Enterprise Edition though. Standard won't do it (if i remember right).

5. FLY-FAST

FLY-FAST OT Supporter

egag

Can you give me some tips on troubleshooting exactly what the issue is?

6. oh, the options.

are you familiar with performance monitors and traces in the computer administration interface? if not, check out:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=windows+performance+monitor+trace

and, there's an ODBC trace you can turn on in the ODBC32 control panel area, giving you specific info on queries, what they hit, how long they take to execute, etc. etc.