SQ degredation with a crossover?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TenSteel, Jul 26, 2002.

1. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

Eventually I will be switching to a preamp and amp combo, and the preamp I'm looking at (NAD S100) does not have any sort of subwoofer preout. In order to run a sub, I have to run the full range signal into a subwoofer crossover unit, like this one ...

[​IMG]

Specifications
    Description:
    Bass Manager/Active crossover for use with Evolution U1, U2 subwoofers and T5, T6 tower systems.
    Controls/Features:
    Power, master gain, LFE gain, boundary compensation, stereo/mono switch, phase, hi & lo pass filters, 12V/Audio trigger, 115v/230v switchable, rack mount kit (optional).
    Switchable Hi Pass:
    50Hz, 80Hz, 110Hz.
    Variable Lo Pass:
    50Hz - 140Hz.
    Phase Selector:
    0/180 degree switch, 0-90 degree variable.

Gain:
    +10dB, 0dB selectable.
    S/N Ratio:
    >100dB.
    Input Connectors:
    XLR, RCA.
    Output Connectors:
    XLR, RCA.

... in order to block low bass from the mains before the signal reaches the amp. Will there be a degredation in sound quality if I do this? If so, does anyone have a better idea for integrating a sub into the setup? I gotta have my bass. :big grin:

Last edited: Jul 26, 2002
  2. 04

04 Guest

From what I understand, you want to use that unit as a highpass crossover for your main speakers? If so, there will most likely be NO audible SQ degredation. You will notice less low bass though, but that is quite obvious. If you are using it for a subwoofer crossover, there will be no degredation, and the SQ would actually improve over running the unit full range.

P.S. Have you done those blind cable tests yet?

3. TenSteel

TenSteel Ted Cruz suicide hotline OT Supporter

No, haven't done the blind cable tests yet. However, I did do the preamp/amp test, and I did notice a difference in clarity compared to my receiver. The biggest thing I noticed was a difference in bass. There was much more bass through my Kef Q15.2's, and it was tighter and more tuneful. Midrange was also a bit smoother and highs were just a little more effortless. BTW, the preamp/amp combo I listened to was a B&K PT3 preamp and a Reference 2220 amp.