Spyware remover

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TysonLee, Jul 24, 2006.

1. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

while in the garage, there was a small gathering of my family members at my house yesterday. i keep my computer running smoothly. but some family members of mine asked to use my computer and i said "sure". god do i regret that now. in the span of 1 hour, my computer got slammed with all kinds of spyware bullshit. i used adaware to get rid of most of the stuff i get from just regular web browsing. when my computer was only used by myself i ran adaware once a week and usually it found only 5-15 things. well i ran my adaware last night and it found fucking 535 items. i was like :eek3: :ugh: :squint:,...my adaware got rid of most of them but there are still some that will not get deleted because adaware says they are currently in use and cannot be deleted. which means they are running in the background somewhere im guessing. i tried to reboot and run adaware again but the wares start with the computer i guess. i took out all my startup items to see if that would work and they still start up with the computer. now i know doing a fresh install would get rid of all my problems but i will try other things before resorting to installing XP again. i have some progs on my computer that i need to keep cause i dont have the installation disc for them anymore (im retarded and will be keeping all installation disc from now on),...the shit that pisses me off the most is shit like say im reading a thread on offtopic. the fucking page would just go to another website about cleaning my drives or spyware removal. it pisses me off,...i get pop up windows when my computer is just sitting there idling. im not even on the computer and i get popups. someone please help!!!!!

2. Hathegkla

Hathegkla New Member

you also might want to try a virus scanner as well. I was having adware problems I couldnt get rid of untill I ran an antivirus program. alot of those are trojans and dont get picked up by spyware programas.

or you could back up all your files and format your hd...that works very well

3. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Are you running SP2's built-in firewall and IE pop-up blocker? If not, you should be.

If Adaware isn't able to remove files because they are in use, it should have asked you to perform a scan on the next reboot. It should run before Windows loads so it can delete the files that were in use.

Also take a look in Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel and try to remove anything you do not recognize. If you can't remove something, you can usually google the program name for tips to uninstall it.

4. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

any suggestions on virus scanners? i have a second harddrive in my computer where i keep my music and pictures and things like that. on my other harddrive that i think is infected is all my programs. when you say "backup" files do you mean to burn them and do a fresh install?

i do not know how to enable the firewall. and i dont think im using the IE popup blocker because i do not use IE. i use firefox. but i did notice that some of the popup windows are popping up in Internet Explorer and i also periodically get a message saying "windows closed this program to keep your computer safe" or something to that effect. and the program its saying its closing is Internet Explorer,...as for adware it does give me the message saying it will perform the scan on the next reboot yet i still get the same "cannot delete because that item is currently in use message" message. i will try the add/remove programs thing tonight when i get home.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

To enable SP2's firewall, go into Control Panel -> Windows Firewall and make sure it's enabled.

For IE's pop-up blocker, go into IE, Tools -> Pop-up Blocker -> On/Off.

6. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

thanks! ,...for the IE popup blocker should i still enable it even tho i use firefox?

7. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

It wont hurt to, but you did say that you are getting pop-ups from IE.

8. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

It would be next to impossible to get that many seperate installations of spyware in such a short time, unless they did some downloading.

I would suggest that you look in your add/remove programs list for something that you don't recognize and then google it to see what it is.

Kill any "free" smiley programs or free anything programs that you didn't install yourself.

Also, adaware is not enough. Try downloading Spybot S&D
    http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

and if you are using internet explorer, also download spyware blaster which works hand in hand with Spybot S&D
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html

I didn't notice anyone mentioning an antivirus yet.
    A good free one is AVG
    http://www.grisoft.com/doc/1

9. Doc Brown

10. sm0ke

sm0ke OT's Stargate expert.

I do all my Spyware scans in Safemode, that way nothing is running and it seems to always get everything. I use Spybot Search & Destroy it's free. I also use House Call at pccillin.com It's an online virus scanner so it's always updated.

11. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

As a future recommendation, restrict your family to the "Guest" user account.

12. Doc Brown

Definitely. I just finished the build for my friends computer.
    I set it up with an lua as well as the guest account so that he can keep his kids off of the admin account which is now password protected.

I got tired of cleaning all the junk out of there every so many months.

13. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

fuck you are the man. i wish this was posted when i had these problems. i got so frustrated yesterday night that i said fuck it and did a fresh install. now my only problem is i cant find the drivers for some of my hardware. anyone know a good place to get drivers?

14. TysonLee

TysonLee New Member

oh and believe it or not. my family was on the guest account. on my guest account, they were using IE.

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Windows Update, or the manufacturer's website.