GUN Spyderco Civilian vs KBAR TDI VS PKAL for defensive carry?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by minus, Jun 4, 2009.

1. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I need a knife to carry for defensive purposes when I go on vacation this summer. I will be unable to carry a firearm.

TDI:
    https://www.kabar.com/product_detail.jsp?productNumber=1482&mode=category&categoryId=1,7,9&categoryName=Law%20Enforcement
    Belt holster indexes where my firearm would be.
    Inexpensive.

Civilian:
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=60
    Fully Serrated edge designed for defensive use only.
    Expensive.

PKAL:
    http://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details.php?product=267

2. GFlem

GFlem New Member

I mean, if you're really assuming you're going to be getting in knife-fights everywhere you go..............

The second one.

Fixed-blade knives are a nono in a bunch of places.

3. GFlem

GFlem New Member

Sounds like you need a new vacation spot, homes.

4. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

ni**er knife: broken beer bottle.

5. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

:ugh:

It's okay to carry a gun but a knife makes you crazy?

6. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

TDI positioned forward of center line, that way you can have it in the same spot even when you do carry your gun.

7. GFlem

GFlem New Member

Personal preference - I'd rather pack OC spray than a knife if I weren't able to carry a firearm.

Too many things can go wrong with a knife.

8. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Yea, knife fight is nasty as shit, that's why a crook won't get in one with you.

Not worth it for him to get into one for whatever loot you may be carrying, he'll just move on to an easier target.

9. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

there are people who are immune or at least less affected by OC than others. however, i don't know anyone who is immune or less affected by a knife than the next guy.

10. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I have a permit honored by NC. However due to circumstances beyond my control I will not be able to secure my gun as well as I would like to while I am not carrying it.

11. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I carry a TDI, but have not had experience with the others listed.

The TDI is cheap (under $50?), can be used for SD and around the house (I bring mine to the office and regularly open boxes and cut things), has great ergonomics and tucks away nicely. I'm biased because I own one...but I'd pick it again against those 2 Spyderco's.
    A number of LEO carry them, I actually saw one on a moto cop at Taco Bueno. Tucked behind a mag on his belt. I had mine IWB also, just under a shirt. Fixed blades under 4" are legal in Texas.

IF you have enormous hands, the TDI might be too small for you. If you require a large blade (length) the TDI will be too short. What I like about the blade is the thickness and width (hah), I never hesitate to stab it into something hard or even pry with it. It is very thick and will stand up tpo the abuse.

The sheath it comes with is meidocre. Some people liek it, I find it annoying. There are various aftermarket sheath's available.

EDIT - Just realized you are looking at the larger TDI. Hand size will be a non-issue than. You also get the longer blade.

IF you're looking for a reliable seller with good prices and fast shipping try - http://tomarskabars.com/

I bought my Kabar there and got it within the week. Cheapest price on the web at the time too. Very reasonable shipping. Can't say enough good stuff about them.

12. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

FWIW, I like a solid folder. I use BM Griptilians as they're solid, look unassuming, and the axis lock is almost fixed blade strong.

The biggest thing you need if you plan to use a knife for self defense? Training. Just having a knife won't help you much if you don't know a few agressive cuts to stop any potential threat. As for me? I've trained with guns, H2H, knives and others. Best line of defense? A good sense of situational awareness and some comfy running shoes.