sprocket chain help.........

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by jtl090179, Sep 28, 2006.

1. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

so im pretty new to this scene if you cant tell from my posts. how much improvement can i expect from a sprocket and chain upgrade i.e. +2 rear, -1 front on an 01 sv650? i know i havent taken this bike to the limit yet but im already kind of getting bored with her. not saying i dont love her but you know how it is with new toys and mods

2. machine81

machine81 New Member

I'm right there with you. You know I have the '04 SV650 and about 3 months after I got it I thought about doing a mild regearing (1 or 2 teeth) too. It wasn't lifting the front wheel like I wanted and I'd like to accelerate a little faster, all of which could be fixed by regearing. Plus, in the metro area where I live I don't need the top-end speed.

I've mostly decided against it, but it's always in the back of my mind. A buddy of mine said, "If you wanna go faster or do wheelies, get a bigger bike. If not, leave the gearing alone." I haven't decided how much sense that makes, but it was enough to temporarily stop me from doing it.

Anyway, I'm not much help mechanically, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm on the say thought path as you. And if anyone on OT has better advice I'd like to hear it too.

3. Hapytruck01

Hapytruck01 New Member

if its wheelies your after you dont need to do any mods to get it to wheelie...:naughty:

4. noxxs

noxxs New Member

drop the clutch ftw

5. jtl090179

im not looking for wheelies, im just looking for any additional mods that i can do. will this sacrifice top end too much? or will it be better overall is what im looking for

6. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

take track courses

you'll get more improvement than any mod

7. sofakingraw

sofakingraw New Member

You most likely heard someone talk about this, and assumed it was a good thing to do.

For the most part, this is done when people switch to a 520 chain. It's almost the standard to do this when switching to this sprocket size.

As for a cheap mod, sure. It will cut a bit out of first gear, and you will not notice it on the top end. Makes the bike much easer around town, and will also make the front end a bit lighter for when you do get comfortable on the bike and are ready to pull it up.

Overall, do a 520 conversion and -1/+2 rear and you'll thank yourself.

8. jtl090179

thanks, it is a 520 conversion i was looking at. if i wont notice it really on the top end i might go ahead and do it