SprintPCS Handset Review: Sanyo PM-8200

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by jedimasterELMO, Jun 11, 2004.

1. jedimasterELMO

jedimasterELMO Beer, boards, and Android

I've had this phone for a little over a week and I love it. This is my first "actual" camera phone as I came from the Samsung N400 (Sprint's first color phone with camera separate from the phone :greddy:). The main features on this phone are Ready Link (Sprint's own Direct Connect), SMS text messaging, camera, polyphonic ringtones, Vision (internet access), and three exclusive colors for this model (Red, Sliver, and Midnight Blue--which I have :wiggle:). On with the review! :eek3:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The design
    Compared to the N400, the phone is a bit smaller, but thicker cause it's a clamshell type phone. Still, that's pretty small and very pocketable. It feels solidly built, compared to the my old Nokia's plasticy feel.
    I really like the keypad lights. Though they're the standard yellow-green, they light up the entire keys, making them very readable in the dark (I am used to the blue-lit keypad from Samsung phones). The keys have a subtle sparkle to them, but not girly. One of my gripes is that the 8200's keys are flush with the phone and clicky but not too noisy like the N400 keys--you could really tell you're texting away with that phone. Not so great for quiet environments, like, um, meetings.
    The midnight blue version I got is very slick and shiny, also with a subtle sparkle. Almost automotive paint-like. The midnight blue looks nice paired with the subtle silver interior. Although I do with that the whole phone was blue itself, like the VM4500. I do suggest getting a case for this phone to protect it from the dreaded drop.
    The placement of the volume rocker keys is a bit low; I'm used to them being higher up.

The screen
    It's a nice setup from my N400, but it's no Toshiba 4050. It's very sharp and bright. I like that the Sanyo's interface uses a narrow sans-serif font which allows for more text to be seen at once. The outer LCD is sharp and bright and colorful. A nice feature indeed--dual LCDs!

The UI
    Menus are straight forwardly list based which I like. No nonsense! It's a bit updated from previous Sanyo menus from what I hear, such as the one on the 4900.
    Closing the flip keeps you in your current application, which I think is great. I love browsing the web or composing an SMS and then closing the phone knowing I can pick up where I left off. As a bonus, you can close the phone right after sending off an SMS (no need to wait until after it goes through).
    When you are in the middle of an application and you get an alert/SMS, you can simply hit ok/back to get to it later. It doesn't interrupt what you're doing.
    One of the most important things I love: the phone retains T9 mode in SMS (until a power cycle). I love it love it love it. T9 on this phone is less cumbersome than on the N400.
    "When set to T9...if you want to insert a question mark...you have to go to "options" + "symbol" + scroll over twice and choose "3". (to insert a comma or period in T9 you just press "1" and "next" button) Is it just me or is this a lot of steps to insert a question mark???"
    The UI has been stable--no freezing or crashes. I hardly have the need to power cycle. Since last week, I probably just turned the phone off about 3 times.

The Speakerphone
    Very loud and clear; way better than the speakerphone on the N400. I actually like using it better than the earpiece. Great to talk on it with the phone closed or while driving so you can keep those hands free. People say they can't tell they're on speaker. That's always a good thing.

The Ringers
    Nifty little ringers, but they are mighty loud since they come through the speakerphone. Compared with the N400's ringers, these sound very clear.

The Camera
    Coming from a :greddy: camera attachment on the N400, I am very impressed with the photos in high quality mode. Though they are slightly washed out, they are very clear (way better than the N400's). I am no longer embarassed to blog with my phone. I've used the flash a few times, but only found out that it works only when the subject in the picture has to be faily close (~1-5 feet) to get a good light in a dark area.
    Uploading photos to my PictureMail inbox and sending photos is very quick. You can even upload multiple photos at once.
    Look here for sample photos
    http://tehelmo.textamerica.com

The Earpiece
    I've been told that there's probs with the Sanyo earpieces in a way that the caller sounds "muffled." I might have bad ears, but I don't notice it; I also don't put my earpiece volume too high (3 or 4 is fine).

The Games
    LOL. 2 games. They didn't even include bowling!! Grr. What is Dracula Trial? I've yet to find out. WildWest Blackjack is fun, but I lost all my money. I just deleted them to free up more space for screen savers and ringtones! ;)

The Web
    I'm very impressed since browsing on the N400 was a chore and really slow. OT on WAP loads faster on the 8200 (WAP 2.0 browser).

The Battery
    I use the phone sparatically during the day (SMS/vision/pictures/short calls) and at the end of the day, the battery meter is still full.

Ready Link
    A nifty feature if you want to get a hold of your friends quickly and not use up your prescious anytime minutes. One of the things I don't like is that it doesn't give you an option to screen the ready link call. :o Another thing is that before going on the net or sending SMS text/pictures, you'll have to wait for ready link to disable itself. I guess it uses VoIP or something.

Overall, the phone gets a 9 out of 10 stars from me. Great phone. Some irks here and there, but nothing to really put it down. :bigthumb: :coold: :mamoru:

2. galek_spoo

galek_spoo New Member

you've got me convinced. i need to upgrade from this old lg phone anyways.

3. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I'll be doing the same this week, great review :bigthumb:

4. ZeKs

ZeKs OT Supporter

Good phone. Haven't seen many or any problems with this yet. Which is good news :)

-Sprint Tech

5. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

Does this have an led on it, other than the flash? I'm coming from a samsung e715 and I loved the led because I could turn off ringers and that little fucker would go crazy when I got a call.

6. jedimasterELMO

It has a LED, but only functions when I use Ready Link, camera, or alerting me that I have a message.

7. wake_o

wake_o New Member

8. wake_o

wake_o New Member

want to give me one?

9. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I picked this up yesterday, got it for a hundred bucks from the sprint store.. Damn fine phone. A little awkard getting used to the menu though. Still waiting for my pcs vision to be activated so I can rape euploader. The phone feels reallys solid though.. I hate antennas but what can ya do it's not gsm :(

10. The R-ruh

The R-ruh OhMyWhat?!?!

Good review of the Sanyo 8200 (except that last photo you posted is the 8100, not the 8200). For you guys that are thinking of picking up this phone too, check out the Samsung A680. Adds video and smaller package, though it doesn't have ready link or speaker phone. Overall a better phone though in my opinion.

Samsung > Sanyo

11. The R-ruh

The R-ruh OhMyWhat?!?!

Samsung A680 has a status LED (green) and ringing / voicemail / textmessage / alarm LED (red)

12. Floyd91

Floyd91 Active Member

I'm liking the 8200 alot. More so than the samsun e715 I had. I don't mind not having the led that goes crazy when the phone rings, generally I just like having it for voicemail notification. It takes pretty decent pictures... as far as a camera phone goes, I will add some pics when I get home. If I remember.

13. jedimasterELMO

You can't read the review.
    http://tehelmo.textamerica.com

14. drunkenmonkey

drunkenmonkey New Member

i have this phone as well and i love it

15. Prez808

Prez808 OT Supporter

Can any people from Sprint *ahem* hook up the pimp dealz on this phone? Best I've found is $50 purchase price.

16. VinSVT

VinSVT New Member

17. cdoyle

cdoyle I finally changed this!

I just picked up this phone yesterday, and I see there is a PC Sync option. I guess there is a USB cable attachment that you can purchase that hooks to the computer. Does anyone know if you can download the pictures off the phone to your PC with this cable?

Also, anyone know of a good place to get free ringtones, screensavers, etc?

18. Kyubiz

Kyubiz New Member

This is my first time in this forum and I saw this thread. I also upgraded from an N400 to this in May and I love it :bowdown: Great phone :bigok:

19. cdoyle

Does anyone have that USB cable thing, that is mentioned in the manual? Can you download the pictures off the phone to your PC with this?

20. Kyubiz

Kyubiz New Member

Seems like that would be a hassle. Whenever my phone fills up with pictures or I just want to get them on my computer I select the ones I want, press upload, and then close the phone and go about my business.

21. cdoyle

but doesn't it cost a certain amount to upload the pictures? I thought the USB thing would be nice cause it wouldn't cost anything.