sprint phones

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nuckolsc1, Aug 20, 2005.

1. nuckolsc1

nuckolsc1 New Member

Since sprint like never makes a new phone that I really like that doesnt cost over like 500 bucks, is it possible to buy a phone from another company and it work using sprint. My parents signed a 2 year agreement with sprint like a half year ago and they dont want to pay the cancellation fee.

Thanks

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Nope. OT Supporter

No. It has to come from Sprint or it's partners.

3. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

But I thought half of sprint's lineup had sim cards!

Switch to a GSM carrier, then you have the choice of a LOT of phones you can use. Since Europe, China, Australia, and even S. America uses GSM, manufacturers are going to spend a lot more time/money/resources on developing GSM handsets to appeal to a much broader audience. Thats why you should switch if you want your choice of phones.

But if you like sprint service, then you're stuck with the phones that they think that you should have, not what YOU think you should have ;)

4. nuckolsc1

nuckolsc1 New Member

Alright.. thanks for your help.
    I would switch to like tmobill or verizon or something but my parents dont want to pay the cancellation fee. :(

5. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

no point in paying a cancellation fee, just ride it out.

6. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

verizon is not GSM.

T Mobile and Cingular both use GSM. You can use any phone that will work with Cingular on T Mobile, but not all of T Mobile's phones will give you the best reception possible on Cingular. This is because T Mobile uses only 1900 MHz towers, but Cingular uses 850 MHz and 1900 MHz towers. All of Cingular's recent phones have both frequencies, but most of T-Mobile's handsets do no have 850 MHz reception.

For the most flexibility, your best bet is to buy a quadband GSM phone that has 850 MHz and 1900 MHz reception (in addition to two other frequencies not currently used in the US), then sign up for either Cingular or T Mobile and tell them you have a phone already and just need a SIM card.

7. kungfuwoo

kungfuwoo New Member

Read the thread he is still under contract with sprint, so he's gotta ride it out. Give him the lecture when he can switch.

8. The R-ruh

The R-ruh OhMyWhat?!?!

Sure you can buy a GSM phone from Asia or Europe and use it in the US, but not all functions will be compatible. U can have a cool looking phone but U might not be able to use the web or text message service. The phone had better have a T-Mobile or Cingular brand on it otherwise you'll be spending a premium for a phone that's half crippled.

Stick with Sprint or Verizon anyway. They're both better than the rest.

9. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Not true. I unlocked my old AT&T branded Nokia 3650 and called T-Mobile and got it up and running for my brother-in-law who uses T Mobile...T Zones, SMS and all with no problems. Same goes for my unlocked and unbranded Nokia 6230 I got set up and working for myself on Cingular. All it took in both cases was a call to customer service.