Sprint/Nextel merger possible

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlackWRX02, Dec 10, 2004.

1. BlackWRX02

BlackWRX02 OTs Cingular Guru

:uh: That'll be a GREAT company :ugh:

2. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

wow.

"hi guys! i see you suck like we do. wanna get together and make the world's hugest suck fest of a mobile company? maybe we can TP cingular's headquarters or somethin' to celebrate when the merger is done. wouldn't that be cool? huh huh. huh huh."

3. WNorkle

WNorkle Guest

Trying to emulate the Canadian carrier TELUS? They also operate CDMA (Sprint) and IDEN (Nextel) networks.

4. Vagabond

Vagabond Nope. OT Supporter

It's not gonna happen. People have been saying this for years, ever since Sprint announced a PTT system.

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

that would be a hard merger with cdma and iDen

6. skooter

skooter Guest

This is what i have been hearing:

7. maczter

interesting. thanks.

8. Vagabond

Excuse me while I eat my previous words.

9. YelloWRX

YelloWRX Sonic Yellow...Bitch!

I read somewhere that Sprint was trying to sell it's towers and then lease them back. How does this fit with that?

10. BlackWRX02

Lots seem to think that mergers like this and cingular/ATT are going to shoot prices through the roof.

Too little competition.
    I wonder what they will do with a name? Both are pretty big names :dunno:

11. maczter

Sprinxtel? :dunno:

12. Vagabond

Sprint-Nextel is what's going around right now.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

no one knows what the future holds, but currently prices seem to have been unaffected.
    AT&T and Cingular were both big names, imo. And Cingular ended up taking over and AT&T (the bigger of the two) got removed. Interesting, but anything is possible.

I hate both compaines. But nextel probably has the *most annoying* customer base ever. I wouldn't mind seeing the words Nextel, Boost Mobile, and "Walkie-talkie" never uttered again.

14. BlackWRX02

Right, but you have to consider the customer base with the two companies. Nextel has a LARGE business name, along with their own racing series now. But I can't imagine sprint just giving up their name that easy. Its pretty big, and they have the land-line part of the business to keep.

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

same with AT&T, tho. AT&T keeps their land-line portions, but cingular got the wireless.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the same with ghettoxtel.

16. maczter

well...not quite.

AT&T Wireless was an entirely seperate company from AT&T for several years before the merger.

17. maczter

Sprint, Nextel Make Progress on Deal
    [font=Times New Roman,Times,Serif]Combined Entity Would Spin Off
    Sprint's Local-Phone Carrier
    [/font]

[font=times new roman,times,serif][font=times new roman,times,serif]By DENNIS K. BERMAN and JESSE DRUCKER
    [font=times new roman,times,serif]Staff Reporters of THE WALL STREET JOURNAL[/font]
    December 12, 2004 8:09 p.m.
    [/font]

[/font] Sprint Corp. and Nextel Communications Inc. have tentatively agreed on key terms in a $35 billion merger deal that would create a giant cellular carrier with nearly 39 million subscribers, said a person familiar with the matter. The merged company would then spin off Sprint's traditional land-line telephone service to shareholders.

The talks, characterized as advanced negotiations, could still fall apart, but if things stay on track, a deal could be announced in days.

The boards of both companies are scheduled to meet on Tuesday, according to a person familiar with the talks. If the terms of the deal are approved, it could be announced as soon as Wednesday.

Current Sprint Chief Executive Gary Forsee will continue to serve in that role at the new, largely wireless company, which will be called Sprint-Nextel. Nextel Chief Executive Timothy Donahue would serve as executive chairman of the new company, which would be the nation's third largest cellphone operator.

The company would have a 50-50 split among board members and would have a corporate headquarters in Reston, Va., where Nextel is currently based, with an operating headquarters in Overland Park, Kan., where Sprint is currently based. The spin-off would maintain its headquarters in Overland Park, Kan.

Under the tentative deal, Sprint would pay the equivalent of 1.3 shares of its stock, with a small portion of that coming in cash, for each Nextel share.

Based on Sprint's 4 p.m. price Friday of $24.14 on the New York Stock Exchange, the deal is valued at $31.38 a share or $34.9 billion, which is a 5% premium to Nextel's closing share price of $29.76. In after hours trading on Friday, Nextel rose to $29.99, and Sprint rose to $24.35, according to Inet.

The deal was structured to give Sprint shareholders 51% of the combined company. That is important because the combined company, post-closing, will be spinning off Sprint's local telephone business, and the company wants to try to avoid paying taxes on the transaction.

Shares of Nextel jumped when news of the deal's terms hit the market while shares of Sprint sagged. If the stocks continue to move in opposite directions, it could put pressure on the companies to alter the terms of the deal.

Nextel, the smallest of the country's national wireless carriers, has grown rapidly because of its unique "push to talk" service, which essentially turns cellphones into walkie-talkies and is popular with businesses. Sprint, which began life as a long-distance phone company, now operates the country's third biggest cellular operation with 23.2 million customers.

The deal would give the new company the heft to battle with the industry's two giants, Verizon Wireless and Cingular Wireless. Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of Verizon Communications Inc., and Vodafone Group PLC, and Cingular is owned by BellSouth Corp. and SBC Communications Inc. The three companies would control 75% of the U.S. cellular market. The talks come just six weeks after Cingular became the country's largest cellphone operator, following its completed acquisition of AT&T Wireless Services Inc.

Nextel has two big problems, and a deal with Sprint would help solve them: It needs more radio-wave spectrum, the valuable airwaves that cellular operators use to transmit calls. And it needs to switch to an entirely new network technology to keep up with competitors offering services like high-speed Web browsing.

For Sprint, which has been stuck in the middle of the wireless pack, the deal would make it nearly as large as its bigger wireless competitors, lowering its costs as it embarks on a multibillion-dollar plan to upgrade its own network.

The combination would also further underscore the fact that wireless has become the future of communications. Already, 172 million people in the U.S. have wireless phones. An intense race has begun to offer them Web access, music, e-mail and photos. Representatives from Sprint and Nextel declined to comment yesterday.

18. Moon

Moon New Member

19. xxxgames12

xxxgames12 Guest

Wow. That should be awesome. Can't wait!