Sprint crew v. PDA phone

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by strubbe, Mar 31, 2008.

1. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Hey y'all. I'll be upgrading in a month (hopefully sooner if retentions gives me my $150 upgrade discount early), and will be replacing my Fusic with a PDA phone. I've narrowed the options down to

- Treo 755p
    - Mogul PPC 6800
    - Samsung Ace sphi325
    - HTC Touch

The most important thing for me is being able to psync the phone with my Outlook calendar. I can't fucking survive without that thing. Texting/web use is a close second. Everything else is pretty much just extra stuff. Price doesn't really matter (thank you tax refund). What does OT think?

:bowdown:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

blackberry.

3. WiseOne

WiseOne roter Teufel

HTC Touch

oh and on a side note

I was going over my Sprint bill the other day

WTF
    [​IMG]

4. strubbe

strubbe New Member

I'd love a blackberry, but don't want to shell out another $40 a month for the blackberry service. I have a great plan right now (third party employee plan from when I worked at Radioshack), and would like to keep it as cheap as possible. Broke college student ftl.

5. strubbe

strubbe New Member

:wtf: bill

Sie sind nicht Gott.

And what's your reasoning behind the Touch?

6. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

i like my touch. I guess it might be just because the touch screen is so cool. im not a huge txter so i dont need a qwerty keyboard and theres a boatload of programs for WM, ive customized my today screen like crazy as well

7. strubbe

strubbe New Member

The touch screen is honestly the one thing holding me back from that phone. I want an actual keyboard :o

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

No you don't. A keyboard takes up a lot of space and it can't be reconfigured on-the-fly to provide relevant functions in whatever application you're running at the time. A touch screen can.

9. strubbe

strubbe New Member

After reading up on the Mogul and the 755p, I'm leaning towards the Mogul... Windows system = easy psync with Outlook, highly customizable, and it has a touch screen and full keyboard as well.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

My personal Sprint PCS bill is $60/month

Blackberry 8130
    500 anytime minutes
    Unlimited nights starting at 7pm
    Unlimited weekends
    Unlimited mobile-to-mobile
    Unlimited SMS
    Unlimited MMS
    Unlimited data
    Unlimited email on 10 ISP accounts
    Unlimited navigation

11. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

until you realize that it runs Windows Mobile which is the equivelant of getting kicked in the nuts every time you want to use your phone.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the touch's screen is absolute crap. I'll take real keys over that touchscreen bullshit, any day.

13. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Maybe I'll call up retentions and see if I can get the BB service no charge... I've read about a few people doing that. :dunno:

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

How so?

15. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

the mogul is good too but it has a memory leak issue and i cant remember if they issued a fix for that yet. The Touch keyboard has mutliple configurations that you can select, theres one thats a copy of a computer keyboard if you dont like using the thumb ones

16. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

then you have to use the stylus. and stylus == massive fail and aids.

Windows mobile is slow, buggy, memory leaks, ugly, etc. Windows on deskop? good. Windows on phone? shitty.

17. shiba

shiba Active Member

I have a mogul which I upgraded from a treo. The only gripes i have with this phone is that it needs more ram and the battery life is absolutely horrible. I barely make it through the day with normal usage.

ich bin, you should consider the new unlimited unlimited plans that are coming out. $100 a month, unlimited everything.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sero is a better deal if you use less than 1250 mins (not counting N&W or M2M)

19. strubbe

strubbe New Member

I called and got transferred to retentions... He offered me the $150 discount a month early, but it would still be like $350 or something for the Touch, and even more expensive for the Mogul and 755p :ugh:. So I'm going to wait til my contract is up and call retentions again and bitch til I get a better deal on the phone. Cunts.

20. sony

sony Active Member

If texting is important to you, you should definitely think about passing on the touch and going for a phone with a hardware keyboard. There are some applications you can install that will make keyboard typing easier but it's never the same as a tacticle hardware keyboard that you can use without looking at.

I can't really comment on the other phones because I haven't used any of them extensively, but I do have a Mogul and I like it. I like it more now that the new ROM is out which enables internal GPS. I was using an external bluetooth GPS before and it was a hassle, but now it is as simple as launching TomTom or Garmin or whatever and using it.

The phone does have a RAM problem; mainly the fact that there is not enough of it. It is manageable with the right applications though. The new ROM has a better task manager in it which will help you close out applications instead of just minimizing it or you can get third party programs like wktask which I prefer.

Some of the things I use my phone for:
    - mobile aim/im
    - gps (tomtom/garmin/iguidance, google maps/live search, pocketcaster, rungps)
    - web browsing (leaked opera 9.5 browser or skyfire for desktop browsing or wap sites)
    - texting (i have threaded sms installed, but WM6.1 which will be coming out probably the end of this qtr has it built in)
    - e-mail (exchange)
    - internet radio (mainly shoutcast, but also streaming radio from real stations)
    - tethering either via USB or as an ad-hoc wifi point to access internet from my laptop
    - logmein for virtual access to my pc if I need to do something or whatever

:(

21. The R-ruh

The R-ruh OhMyWhat?!?!

the choice is quite simple

[​IMG]

22. portajesus

portajesus New Member

I'm in the same boat :o:

I'm leaning towards the Mogul, cause I text more than I talk on the phone.. so I don't think the Touch's onscreen keyboard would be any fun.

23. strubbe

strubbe New Member

:bowdown: Thank you! That helps a lot.

The Blackberry looks tempting as hell, however... I'll probably go with the Mogul. :o

24. strubbe

strubbe New Member

Every review I've read said it wasn't a big deal, or it worked just fine, but I'm still hesitant. I think I'm going to go to a Radioshack or Sprint store and check them both out before ordering. :o

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Dunno. If that is true (that it's "no big deal") then I will say there must be a HUGE learning curve. I've tried a few HTC Touch's and they were absolute shit in the "keyboard" dept.