Sprint Blackberry 8130 Perl MMS???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by P07r0457, Dec 29, 2007.

1. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have purchased a Blackberry 8130 Perl for Sprint and it appears to have been crippled. I cannot send a picture message except through email. This is unacceptable since I most often send pictures to users that are NOT blackberry users. My sister has a BB Perl through AT&T and she has no issues sending MMS.

Is there a work-around that anyone knows?

I would switch to AT&T, but I like Sprint EVDO and I would almost double my MRC if I went to AT&T.

2. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

MMS is disabled on the Sprint version of the Pearl right now. the phone was advertised as the first to do MMS but it shipped without it, theres supposed to be a fix coming but no ETA

If a picture message is sent to your blackberry, you are given a link to click on, and it will open in your browser.

For outgoing pictures, there is no way to send directly to another person's phone. You can only e-mail the photo or send through blackberry messenger.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i tried to setup blackberry messenger, but couldn't complete it. The other users confirmed they received a SMS from my saying I wanted to add them, but how do they confirm that? They stayed in my "pending" box.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i ended up getting a blackberry curve 8130 from at&t. they said it's gonna take a few days to port the # over from sprint. I hate to carry two phones around. Already I can tell that I really like this phone. Sad that Sprint couldn't put a little effort to release a functional phone... Hopefully AT&T proves to have better customer service to justify their higher monthly pricing.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 30, 2007
  5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Basically the same issue with the iPhone. You have to send pictures via email. To send them to people's phones you can send them to the following:

Alltel: [email protected]
    AT&T: [email protected]
    Sprint: [email protected]
    T-Mobile: [email protected]
    US Cellular: [email protected]
    Verizon: [email protected]
    Virgin Mobile: [email protected]

It's a pain to figure out what carrier all your friends have but once you do you can just enter another email address for each of them your address book.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

i bought a leather case to hold the curve on my belt.

Thus far, I really like it. I'm glad I went with the Curve over the pearl... My original fear was it's size -- but it actually isn't very big, and now that I have purchased a belt holster for it, it's a moot point. Furthermore, after having the Curve for a few days, I have decided that it's full QWERTY keyboard is far superior than the Pearl's sure-type keypad considering how I wish to use the device. That's not to say the Pearl isn't great -- my sister loves hers... But she also uses it as a phone that can do a little extra. For me, the curve is my PDA that also doubles as my phone -- and I think that is a very important distinction to determine which device will work better for you.

I called AT&T to get the particulars on how many minutes and SMS I have available (since I just signed up and have not yet hit a bill cycle they are pro-rated) and the customer service rep was extremely nice. This was a welcomed change from Sprint. This is only one experience and I am not yet ready to make my final conclusion -- but so far things are looking good.

The final test will be if the port-out goes successfully and if I get good coverage in Southern Oregon. In the past at&t did not have good coverage, but they have assured me they recently completed a major upgrade in that area. According to their website coverage maps they have added 3G, and coverage appears comprable to Sprint when eyeballing both carriers maps.

I knew about the email>SMS gateway, but my understanding is that it did not support images; perhaps I am wrong. Regardless, it's an additional step that I wish to avoid.

After reaching the conclusion that the Curve better meets my needs (when compared to the Pearl) it also eliminates Sprint as a possibility -- as Sprint does not carry a device comprable to the Curve. They do have the Word Edition Blackberry, but it's keyboard is not as nice when compared to the Curve, and it lacks a camera -- a feature I find extremely useful.

So who knows? Perhaps AT&T may not work for me -- their coverage is an area of concern for me, and getting my # ported over is also a requirement I have. If they do not satisfy me, I will have to stay with Sprint, and then I would go with the Pearl and live with the mediocre keypad and email>SMS gateway.

However, it appears that AT&T does have the potential to let me have my cake, and eat it too... And that would be great.

7. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

yea the email system with pictures they have set up would be good for like people who are out in the field doing some kind of work and need to send pictures back to their job to see what the next step is through email but for the average person who just wants to send pictures between friends its not the greatest idea.

the pearl is kind of the "it" phone right now, i know of at least 5 people who have them. Its like the Razr was when it first came out, lots of colors and very stylish looking but its far more phone that what everyone needs.

I have the HTC Touch right now and really like it, i just wish that i had better data coverage in my area because i have the SERO plan with unlimited data. It takes a while to get used to touch typing and this is also my first phone that can do QWERTY so i have to learn that as well. The Touch and the HTC mogul are sprints answer to the curve and whatever the larger BB is called

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

the mogul is limited to windows mobile which is less pleasant than sawing off your own arm and pissing on the wound.

the touch is a piece of shit from what I can tell.

if you like it, then that's your personal preference. But neither are even close to the same league as the BB Curve. In fact, I am responding in this thread because of the great push-email capability, where my BB alerted me that you had responded.

9. Willey2cool

Willey2cool New Member

thats cool, windows mobile can do push email too but i heard that its not as great as the BB one because it can only check it every 15mins or something like that. Theres a ton of programs out there for windows mobile but most alot involve messing with the registry on the phone and since this is my first PPC i dont want to brick it . dont the BBs run Windows or do they run their own OS like the Palms do?

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

afaik BB is it's own os.

and a client that checks every 15mins is *NOT* the same as "push"

11. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I don't understand why so many people want pushed email unless they're working in a corporate environment. I have my phone for work and I'd much rather just get my email when I want to. I don't want my phone going off every time I get a new email. If you want to be that attached to your email, that's pretty sad.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

well, my sister does not care about push email... but she loves her pearl. she likes the keypad and OS.

I own my own business, and I'm currently in the process of starting a 2nd one. I have 3 email accounts configured on my blackberry... But 2 are set to "not alert". Basically the email gets to my blackberry, but I don't know about it until I check it. However, there is one account where I am notified as if it were a text message -- and honestly, I really like that feature!

Am I in a corporate environment? No. But it is business.

13. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

That's basically what I meant. I'm not in a corporate environment either but do use my iPhone for business. I have a rule setup so I get a text message when I get emails from a few specific people. I could have the phone pull my email every minute but that seems a bit overkill. If I don't get an email right when it's sent, no one dies (they may sit in jail for a bit longer but I don't care cause they're scum anyways).

14. bryan954

bryan954 New Member

ot is the only forum that i cant view from my pearl, when i log on i get:

Uncaught exception:
    java.lang.RuntimeException

any ideas what setting needs to be changed?

15. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I view OT from my Pearl without issue.

16. bryan954

bryan954 New Member

the settings are fresh out of the box, i just got it yesterday. ot is the only site i cant access.

17. scent of a wookie

scent of a wookie OT Supporter

dont you have to go to wap.offtopic or something like that?

18. bryan954

bryan954 New Member

i downloaded opera mini and ot works great with it.

19. undergroundmike

undergroundmike 2016 NBA CHAMPIONS OT Supporter

I have an MMS/PictureMail app for WM6. I use it on my Sprint HTC Touch.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

you have a htc touch. you fail at life.