GUN Springfield XD as first firearm v.newtoguns

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DjShiznit, Apr 8, 2007.

1. DjShiznit

DjShiznit Representing Deutschland, yah.

So I plan on getting a concealed weapons permit shortly, and hopefully buy a gun within the next few months. I went to a shooting range and tried a few guns (Springfield, Glock compact, Taurus 9mm's) and liked the Springfield. I'm open to suggestions, but was thinking a 9mm would be good due to price of ammo. Otherwise, I may consider a 40. I'm also undecided as to if I'll get a standard, compact or sub-compact. The one I shot was a more standard size I believe. I'll go try them out anyway and see what I think. I dunno how adversely a sub-compact would affect accuracy. Any thoughts?

2. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I had an XD40 sub-compact as my first hand gun. I didn't like the way it felt in my hands after shooting it for awhile. I traded it in for a Glock 19. I love my g19 compared to the XD. I'm actually starting to hit what I'm aiming at and putting decent groups together.

3. DjShiznit

Maybe I should try some other Glocks. The one I tried was a sub compact I believe, and I didn't like half of my fingers hanging below the grip. I noticed the Springfields have extended clips which can make up for this. I was also warned about the glocks pelting you in the face with spent casings. I didn't notice that but then again I didn't fire many rounds through it. I'll put some rounds through some more glocks though, just to see if I can live with it :hs:

Edit: Just went to Glock's website, the G19 looks like a nice weapon. I think I'll definitely go with atleast a compact so I can get a more full-sized grip. Thanks for the input - I'll make it a point to try one of those out. Do you think the lack of accuracy with the XD was just due to the shorter barrel?

4. RMarks

RMarks New Member

I'd say the lack of accuracy was 100% my fault. I'm still learning how to shoot. Even with the XD's extended mags it didn't feel right in my hands.

5. Twinsen

Twinsen OT Supporter

I've shot my friend's XD45, and it feels just like my Glock 22. Which is also a fullsize, but a .40. I absolutely love it. Even though it's fullsize, you still wouldn't know that I had it on me with an ITB holster. I've also shot my friend's Glock 23, which is the compact .40. Didn't like my fingers on the tip of the magazine. I also like the fact that I can have 15+1 as well...you never know, might come across a Jack Bauer moment. :rofl: j/k

But the fitament is perfect in my hand. As far as metal flying in your face, I've never had trouble with my 22 smacking me with casings, and sometimes I'll completely unload a mag in <5 seconds and still never had a problem.

6. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

as you know, my friend, I absolutely love the XD-9, 4"

7. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

no tactical no care :o

8. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

You can't go wrong with either gun, Glocks or XD's. Also 9mm is a good place to start as it's about as cheap as you can go for handgun rounds. I'd start by looking at the non-subcompact guns, Glock 19, or the 4" XD? (is that the similar size to a G19?)

9. DjShiznit

Yeah the G19 looks comparable as it has a 4" barrel as well. I'm somewhat considering going with a .40 cal as well. They are more expensive than 9mm, but only moderately more expensive (unlike a .45 which is almost twice the cost). Any thoughts on this?

10. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

You're planning on getting your concealed carry permit and you're new to guns? :ugh:
    Don't you think it would be wise to familiarize yourself with handguns (specifically) first?
    It certainly isn't my job to judge others' abilities, but I'd say maybe you should take a basic firearm class and basic handgun class first, then buy a gun and practice for atleast a year, if not more, before jumping right into a carry permit.

Just my .02.

I also agree that Glock19 is a superb choice, both for a first handgun AND for a carry weapon.

11. DjShiznit

Just because I have the permit, doesn't mean I have to use it. :hsugh: I'd like to obtain it while I can

12. Slick26

Just don't jump into anything too quickly. Like I said, it's not my job to judge your abilities. It's your life.
    I think we'd all be concerned for your well-being. And not to mention all of our image in the eyes of the evil liberal left, who wish to take our freedoms away from us.

13. DjShiznit

Well w/o the permit, I can't very well conceal it as I carry it with me on that new turbo busa I just picked up. That's my first bike too, btw :bigthumb: On a serious note, I'm nowhere near ready to purchase. I'd like to try a variety of weapons out at the shooting range. Once I find what I like, I'll likely run hundreds of rounds through it before making a purchase. Obtaining the permit in Wa is pretty easy so far as I can tell. Not so easy in Id. I may end up moving there eventually, and therefore it would be in my best interests to get it out of the way. :hs:

14. Slick26

Well you're going about the right way of finding the right gun, that's for sure.
    Try it before you buy it. :bigthumb:

15. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

He's my best friend, so I'd say I know him a little.. he'll be fine. He's not looking to go out and act like an idiot with it, he just wants the option to carry concealed. Because of his job he can't even carry most of the time.

Also in washington you can't carry it loaded in a vehicle with you without a concealed carry permit, period

16. Slick26

Gotcha.

17. Slick26

I was just trying to go the careful route with my advice.
    I read "I'm new to guns and I want to get a carry permit," and I thought to myself, "oh no, here we go again."

:coolugh:

18. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

yeah fair enough

19. Wave

Wave Carlos Spicy Weiner

I tend to agree. I got my permit pretty early on (not that I'm any kind of expert now). It does away with some of the problems of handgun ownership. You hear horror stories, even on here about people getting pulled over and getting into all kinds of problems because they didn't have a lockable trunk or whatever. Plus, in WA, your waiting period goes away with a CCW. It's cheap, easy to get and well worth the effort IMHO even if you're not going to carry.

20. Slick26

I was never arguing that it was a bad idea (not saying that you said I was.... or something).
    I was just trying to stress being careful and to go about it the right way.
    Having a CCW permit certainly does have its merits. I myself am signed up for a CCW class for next friday. But I've also been around guns my whole life, and started into handguns in 2002.

21. DjShiznit

Yeah I completely understand the concern regarding a noob getting a permit. As with my motorcycle endorsement, I completed the MSF course and obtained the endorsement before I purchased a street bike. I'll probably look into taking some sort of gun safety class as I recognize it would be important to have a foundation of how to properly carry and operate a firearm before getting too carried away in teaching myself bad habits. I'd obtain one mainly for the convenience of not worrying about how I'm going to transport a firearm, and also for the simple fact that, as of now, I can - and can do so fairly easily :hs:

22. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

i don't like the XD series at all. shot a couple and they felt like crap. accuracy was lacking, and i don't think it was me b/c i was dead on with my HK. my least important point, since aesthetics doesn't matter much, is that they're probably the ugliest handguns out at the moment.

23. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

Probably a function of the shape/size of your hand

I went to the range and rented a bunch of different handguns last year, tried the glocks, a ruger, an xd, a taurus, a few others too that I can't remember

I wasn't so great with the glocks, the taurus kept jamming, but when I got to the XD it was like I had a fucking wallhack or something, I couldn't miss :o

24. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

:) accuracy is the same as any other combat handgun. So it was probably you, but not in lacking of skills. As I have stated repeatedly here, if the gun does not fit your hand, no matter what gun it is, it will effect your accuracy and even reliability.

As for ugly, all depends on the eye of the beholder. :)

[​IMG]

25. 1BadZ

1BadZ Uber :Aug2000: GM Nazi

I conceal and carry my XD .45 ACP, 4" service model and its a beast to conceal. I'd go with a compact or sub-compact.