GUN Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TCMS, Jan 28, 2010.

1. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

I'm considering picking one of these up, anyone have an opinion?

The concept is that I'd to have a 9mm at home that I can handle and that the wife (5'2 110) can handle relatively easily. (In conjunction with the other guns we have)

Just looking for some input and whether you have suggestions for something similar.

2. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

for home defense i'd get a full frame pistol instead of a sub compact. longer barrel length + full size grip = easier to make good shots imo

if it's for carry purposes nevermind but your post says to keep at home.

9mm is a 9mm, the subcompact with the smaller grip will be more difficult to handle for a weaker person (your wife) than a full size pistol

3. UnaBomber

UnaBomber Closed-minded pig-headed racist xenophobe OT Supporter

my 105 pound gf has zero problems with either the 16 shot extended or 13 shot normal size magazineds in my xdsc.

IMO some hollow 9mm rounds will do the job you will need them to do if you were ever to need them to protect yourself or family.

4. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

if it's not for conceal carry, why get a sub compact?
    why not just get a full frame?
    i just don't understand i guess?

what's the purpose of getting a sub compact and then adding a magazine extension basically making it the size of a compact of full size weapon?

to anyone thinking 9mm isn't big enough, i ask would you want someone to shoot at you with a 9mm+P 124 grain hollow point? i sure as fuck wouldn't!!!

hell if it's for home defense why not get a glock 17 or 19 and a 33 round magazine so you can just fucking unload on someone that breaks in?

lol

5. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I'd get the sub-compact with standard and extended magazines.

Use the extended magazines at home so you can have a full and solid grip, plus more rounds. Use the standard magazines for when you carry it.

I like a gun that can serve multiple uses. The more versatile, the better, the more you train your muscle memory by using the same gun, etc.

If 1" in barrel length is the difference between you being accurate or not being able to hit on target...I'd say the problem is you and not the size of the gun. Practice/train more.

6. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

there's no mention of carrying the weapon, the original post says

"The concept is that I'd to have a 9mm at home that I can handle and that the wife (5'2 110) can handle relatively easily."

so why mess with a sub compact with a grip extension and also sacrifice the barrel length, which obviously at 10 feet doesn't make a difference but i'm sure you see my point

I'm not saying that a slightly shorter barrel will make you miss from across your living room, hell i own a J frame with a barrel length of <2 inches lol

if someone breaks in i'd be using either my G26 which is usually on my him, my J frame if it's what's on my hip, but if i wake up in the middle of the night i'm grabbing either my 12 gauge, .45acp 1911, or beretta .40, or my .44 not my smaller caliber smaller guns.

you'll also see in my original reply above that i said if it's for carry purposes as well then nevermind.

I shoot just fine, the smart ass shit about 1" barrel difference is silly, if it's for home defense and not carry then why not just get the larger frame which will accomodate more rounds, better grip, and a longer barrel for when you go range shooting?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2010
  7. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I have an XD9SC, but I also have a carry permit. If I wasn't going to carry, I'd get something with a better capacity and a bit more barrel, maybe a G17 or even a XD-M.

8. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

I wasn't speaking directly to you, but OK.

I am saying I would not buy a handgun that could serve one purpose and one purpose only. Any handgun I buy, I'd like to be able to carry, as well as shoot effectively. The application of extended magazines is great for just that. Use a standard magazine while you carry for concealment comfort, but when you're at home or at the range pop in a bigger magazine if you feel it gives you a better grip, and also for the added ammunition.

In handgun size, I prefer to buy the SMALLEST gun I can accurately and reliably shoot. In caliber size, as we all know, it's exactly the opposite. Get the biggest ammunition you can accurately and reliably shoot. I do not believe in buying a large gun, that has limited use and application.

If you've got enough money to have 20 handguns, good for you. You probably can afford to buy a gun and keep it sitting under the bed for home protection. I can only afford 2, maybe 3, and I would like them to be versatile in use and functionality so at any point I can pick one up and carry it without worrying about concealment or comfort.

Barrel length may improve accuracy for a range gun, but so does practice. I regularly shoot my 3.1" barrel PF-9 at the range and like it just fine. Every time I go I try to improve my accuracy, not the guns. If you rely on a 4-5" barrel to be accurate, I say again...it's the shooter, not the gun.

Also, if you can get away with conceal carrying a full-sized 1911, more power to you. Your gun selection just opened up tremendously. I can not carry a gun that large, and therefore am not interested in buying/using one.

9. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i don't carry a large frame gun, i carry the G26 or S&W 642.

but not everyone carries, the post says to keep at home. if it isn't going to be carried why bother with a small frame gun that will have lower magazine capacity without then adding a mag extension, just get the larger frame gun and be done.

the vast majority of gun owners don't conceal carry, maybe this guy is 1 of them, and if carry isn't the purpose then the sub compact makes no sense imo

i'm by no means well off, but i've been collecting guns since i was a kid and i started getting them as christmas and b-day gifts, so 25+ (i'm in my mid 30's so don't think i'm some ancient fucker lol) years of collecting firearms has left me with a pretty decent amount.

i put in my 1st reply to nevermind my post if it's to be carried, because i understand that people can't afford to go out and buy 10 different guns, but my point was why buy a sub compact if conceal carry wasn't the intended purpose.

yes i have large handguns, i also have small handguns for conceal carry, since i carry if i could only afford to keep 1 of my handguns i would keep the G26 since it's my best all around choice from what i own.

i used to carry my 1911, and my beretta 96 etc years and years ago (before i moved to Kansas, we've only been able to carry here for the last 4 years, well a few months short of 4 years but close enough lol) but now i carry smaller guns cause the comfort is so much better.

if it's Solely for home defense buy a full frame hand cannon, if it's for conceal carry buy a sub compact.

my only point was, if it is only for home defense and not conceal carry, why sacrifice power, capacity, grip comfort, etc for the smaller gun?

and as far as barrel length goes, shoot a 1 7/8" barrel on the J frame and tell me you can shoot good groups at 15 - 25 yards

i know 1 inch difference isn't gonna make much difference but why give up anything to save on size if it isn't going to be carried?

10. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

Thank you for all of the replies.

This would not be our only gun. It would not be the home defense weapon. I realize the original post misleads towards that conclusion.

The choice in this gun is that the wife likes how something that size handles, is not too bad of a shot with a sub compact and I already have other weapons that fit most of the suggestions you guys have made.

I don't currently have a 9mm, would like to have a 9mm. The wife likes the idea of getting a subcompact and this seems like an opportunity to combine the goal.

Thanks again.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

in that case i agree with 4W4K3

go with the sub compact and get a mag extension for 1 of your magazines for more comfy range shooting for you since you're hands are probably too big to get as many fingers on the grip as you do on your other handguns

12. 4W4K3

4W4K3 New Member

Makes sense, now that I've re-read the whole thread. I think I got caught up more on what I want in a gun, and not what the OP was needing. I tend to get a little self centered...:hs:

13. TCMS

TCMS OT Supporter

Any opinions on glock26 vs. XD subcompact?

14. P-chan

P-chan New Member

Same price, I get the Glock. More, cheaper parts available, better aftermarket support (cheaper mags, etc) is likely also. I got the XD9SC over the Glock because it was $410 and the Glock was like $510.

15. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

i haven't shot the xd subcompact so i can't compare. but i love the hell out of my g26.