Spreadsheet programs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 2500, Nov 12, 2007.

1. 2500

2500 Guest

Does anyone know of any good spreadsheet programs out there? I tried excel, but, for some reason it keeps messing up everything. i lost a bunch of info and it seems like a PITA to use. I am planning on moving soon, and want to make a chart of all the towns, the counties they are in, population, crime rate, etc. i want to be able to sort asscending or descending for each column, etc. any ideas?

2. nathanb

nathanb New Member

Excel should be able to do that just fine :ugh:

3. AJP

AJP 7-1 LOL Green Gay OT Supporter

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

excel works fine.

openoffice :dunno: never tried it though.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Excel should work fine, but you could use Access and put all the data in a database.

6. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

If you're having problems using Excel then I doubt you'll find anything that's easier, but there are alternatives. The suggestions above are your best. Offhand I think of OpenOffice's "Calc" or Google Spreadsheets, or Quattro.

If the software is crashing or is malfunctioning rather than being too complex for you, then try uninstalling Office completely and then and reinstalling Office with all of the "recommended" components included.

7. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

if you can't use excel, then you arn't gonna be able to use any of the others.

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

BUT IT'S ALL EXCEL'S FAULT!!!!11ONE!

9. 2500

2500 Guest

well its not that i can't, its just that things are going wrong and i can't figure out why, lol. i had about 90 towns listed. around 20-30 per county. i typed the town, and the county. i went back to add population. when i was done, warren county only had 2 towns! no idea where the rest of the towns go.

all the info in the population column got shifted down 6 or 7 rows, so i had to select all the info and move it to line up with the correct towns.

i can't stand how when i insert rows, i get a little box there that won't go away. and, how it goes from 1 to like, 8000 and if i hide them all, they still come back when i add new rows.

i don't like how the columns are labeled A, B, C, D, and i have to use row 1 to make headings for each column. i want to get rid of A, B, C, and name them what i want the column to be.

i also don't like how if i mispell something, i can't use a curser to correct it, if i hit backspace, it deletes it.

i will check out some of the other suggestions. first time ever using a spreadsheet, so, i'm sure i will get the hang of it eventually.

10. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

do you want excel, or wouldn't this be better-suited for access? It has a watered-down crystal reports that you can use if you need graphs and such.

11. 2500

2500 Guest

i don't need anything fancy with pie graphs and stuff. i just want a program that i can label the columns, and insert info, and sort by each column. i don't know why each thing i try just, annoys me, lol.

12. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds much more suited for a basic db, imo. So I'd say access. (Although excel could also do this in limited capacity)

13. NPH

NPH Guest

http://www.usd.edu/trio/tut/excel/

:werd: You can manipulate data much better in Access.

14. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Sorry to say it but this just sounds like you don't know what you are doing in Excel. Not sure as to what exactly is going on with your first two issues without actually seeing your spreadsheet but..

When you insert a new row in Excel, right click on the row heading (1, 2, 3, etc) you wish the row to be above and select insert. You will get a little box that you can click on to choose whether you want the new row to format like the one above or below, etc. If you just leave it alone, it will go away once you do something else.

All you do is put your headings in row 1 and whola... column labels. I don't know of any way around this but when you sort your stuff, it will sort based on those headings.

Ahhh, to edit something in a cell, click on the cell and edit in the formula bar or click on the cell and press F2. Then you can use backspace, delete, etc all you want and it wouldn't delete the entire cell's contents

[EDIT] And when you do what to sort your data, highlight it all including your column headings ect and go to "Data" --> "Sort" and do it from there and NOT the icon on the toolbar.

15. 2500

2500 Guest

so far excel has been the most.... complete one.... but at the same time, it has given me some issues. i think i will work with excel a little more before giving up on it.

i also tried access, but, i can't seem to get just a blank spread sheet that looks the way i want it to.

16. tyrionlannister

tyrionlannister New Member

In Access, you make a table (or tables), then make a form, then use the form to input your data. Then you make queries on your data and build a report (or multiple reports) based on the queries to display the data the way you want to. It's a bit more complicated but gives you better control over sorting, operating on and displaying your data.

17. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

:werd:

Excel and OpenOffice are both fine.