Spots on plastic resin **HUGE PICS**

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Frequency, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Frequency

Frequency New Member

Well my bike has a clear plastic "tank" that has developed some spots on it and they are starting to get ugly, i've hit it with a few different conventinal cleaners and some other cleaners. nothing has worked so far, what would you guys suggest?

pics are a littl shakey, only way i could get spot to show was flash off

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I really can't see what you are talking about, have you tried claying it?

3. MrGone

MrGone New Member

looks like an air bubble :(

4. Frequency

Frequency New Member

here is a highlighted pic of the area scott
    http://www.frequencyproducts.net/images/temp/P1000629x.jpg
    im afraid clay will scratch the plastic...
    no you can feel a texture difference on the surface, and there are many more of them. One idea was it was gas that had gotten on the plasice but i disagree, im extremely carefull filling up

5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

To me, that looks almost as though the plastic is delaminating.

If you have an old Ketchup Bottle, or a plastic beer bottle, or somthing like that, the plastic will eventially begin to break down, and when you squeeze the bottle, it crackles, and pops, and you can see the various "layers" of the plastic film seperating. Usually its a result of the plastic going through alot of heat cycles. Like expanding and contracting from sitting on the table at room temp, then going into the fridge at cold temps.

If you bike sits in teh sun for long periods of time, or goes through alot of heat cycling, it may also cause that problem. Especially if that portion of the airbox is clear coated.

It doesnt look like a surface imperfection to me. But a sort of internal blistering from delamination. And given its radial patern around that mounting screw, i would believe expansion and contraction is the likely culprit. Does it react at all when you push on it? Like make a krinkly sound, or compress at all?

Fortunately, the bike should be new enough, id take it back to the HD dealer, and tell them to fix it. To me thats very unlikely to be a problem from usage, or gas spillage, or anything of that sort. If you get a chance to get some macro shot in direct sunlight, that would be fantastic.

So, aside from this little "hicup" how are you liking your City-X? Im torn between the Buell City-X, or the Kawi ZZR-600. My heart tells me the Buell, becuase i can ride it with my Cruiser buddies, and my sportbike buddies. But my budget says the ZZR. Such a tough decision.

6. Frequency

Frequency New Member

not sure if my camera does micro, i'll try
    pushing on it i get no reaction although the "delaminating" kinda makes sense with some of the cleaners i hit it with. i'll be at the dealer on saturday so i'll check in then.

The bike rides wonderful, its truely a different kind of bike. It is a bit more exspensive than a ZZR6 but in the corners i can really get it down with little effort it has good pickup torque is nice and the sound is great. I'll see if i can get a vid up of a ride for ya

7. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, i wouldent think that the plastic delamination would happen as a result of what cleaners you used. Hopfully the dealer treats you right and just replaces it. I cant see somthing like that not being covered by warrenty.

I really like the XB9SX because it IS different. I dont like to follow trends much. And i like things to be a bit different. I also need somthing thats practicle, and has all teh features i want. Im a big naked bike fan, and i love SM's. So the SX falls right in line there. But i also really like the features and the utility of the ZZR, which still gets the killer brakes, and adjustable suspension, but has the added benefit of good headlights, and a faring for long distance riding. WHich i will more then likely mostly be doing. As most of my riding friends live at least a good 20 minutes from where i do. Its a tough choice...do i go for the Uniqueness of the City-X, or for the practicality of the ZZR....i hate making tough decisions.

8. Frequency

Frequency New Member

The dealer has been great to me so i expect no problems when i go up staurday
    also i meant the delamination makes sense b/c the cleaners i hit it with did nothing to it

9. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Fantastic, well, good luck when you take it to them.

10. Frequency

Frequency New Member

dealer replacement will be here next week :bigthumb:

11. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest