GUN Sportsmans guide AK mags

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BigBadJohn, Mar 14, 2007.

1. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Deal for the 12 random mags for $72 with buyers club
    Whats the chance that Ill get a rare one in the batch?
    Im always looking for a chance to make some extra money or atleast break even and have something to show for it

Pics of a good example of what you guys got?

2. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

[​IMG]

Nothing special in mine. They came dirty as a fuck though. 2 were broken and I had to call and have them send me replacements. They were cool about that though. One looked like it had actually been ran over by a truck.

There was one yugo bolt hold open mag. Not that you can't make them yourself in about 5 minutes with a dremel though.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

o rly? Link to guide? I don't have any Yugos but I do have a bunch of average Romanian ones I don't mind modifying.

edit: nevermind, I used google :o
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=55&t=84152

4. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

You don't even have to replace the follower. Just grind the back of the follower so its flat like the other one in the picture. Worked just fine for me.

5. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

right now is not a good time to resell. the market is flooded. in all honesty, if you buy 1 12pack dont expect a slabside or waffle. expect to get 4-6 yugo mags, 4 euro mags and a few chinese. this was the majority of my bags... but when you buy 14 12 packs, your odds go up a lot :cool:pics coming in a minute.

and to make the euro mags BHO style, just file down the little notches on the inside of the mag. dremmel and about 2 minutes will do the job.

6. BigBadJohn

Oh, I was thinking of buying like 5 to 6 dozen mags if I could make the money back plus a few mags and some extra cash
    That spgk380 code for free ship is still good and I woas gonna pick up a buyers club membership that I could make back with just this purchase

7. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

they wont sell quickly right now. i have the cheapest prices on a few different boards, and they just arent moving. if you get them, hoard them for now and wait... prices WILL go back up after they run out.

anywho, out of 26 12 packs, i still have(sold off a bunch including 3 waffles, 3 bakelites and about 5 stamped russians)

2 waffles(excellent shape) 2 slabsides, 10 ish stamped, 2 steel tulas(very rare)and 10 of the 2 rib mags(i hate them) [​IMG]

and i still have 40 "iraqi" 25 yugo 15 chinese 30+ euro and 32 that i had to return due to too much rust/dents.

if the ban comes, ive got lots of money im sitting on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2007
  8. BigBadJohn

I dont really have the money to sit on them. Ive been scrimping and saving and selling stuff for a pos 77 Nova on minimum wage.
    Will have enough money to finally get it after I get the cash on my rifle. Still waiting for a good time to meet up with that arfcommer. I dont have spring break for another 2 weeks

9. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

if you cant sit on them, dont get them. you can make a few dollars each if they are in good shape(if you dont get a rare one) if you get a rare one, you can always just drop the price like a rock(say like 100 for a waffle in great shape) and it will sell quickly... but out of over 300 mags, ive only gotten 5 waffles, and NEVER one fucking fluer di lys. i want one of those damnit.

10. BigBadJohn

What are all of these rare ones out there and the origin?

11. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

russian(lots)
    waffle
    slabside
    ish stamped
    tula stamped
    tula bakelite
    ish bakelite
    fluer di lys
    bulgarian plum mags(very, very ,very rare. only a few have been seen)

you are most likely to get the waffles or bakelites, possibly a fluer.

12. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I didnt get a single bakelite or waffle :wtc: some others I got chinese ribbed, chinese BHO, I got 2 with arabic on them haven't figured out yet, I dont think there egyptian but i did get an egyptian too. Some motherfucker on one of the AK boards I'm on got a plum waffle I'd kill for one of those.

13. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

i have a ton of egyptian, none marked made in egypt though. lots of russian euro too.

anyone want some 2 rib mags? :x:

14. BigBadJohn

How much do all these different types go for?

15. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

varies on condition. im selling the 2 waffles for 118 each shipped, which for the condition is the cheapest price on any gunboard ive seen yet. others are close, but generally worse shape. i just sold a rough waffle for 95 shipped.
    the bosnians dont move for me... i sell for 17, which is also the cheapest ive seen.

russian stamped ish go for around 25-30 and steel tulas are worth a lot more. the bakelites go for about 55-60 tula about 5 bucks more.

slabsides depending on condition about 45 and you will rarely find any bulg. waffle plums out there. figure 200+ if you do. fluers go for about 75 now with the fluer, cheaper without.

16. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

Would you mind taking a picture or linking to a site where you can tell WTF kinds of mags you've got? I've got 12 right now, with another 12 on the way, and they are all slathered in cosmoline. What's the difference in all the steel mags? I know what bakelite ones will look like, but differentiating in all the steel ones is just :dunno:

17. Keesh

Keesh New Member

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/mags/index.html

18. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

post pics and ill see if i know what they are. some of these sites just dont have them all and it pisses me off.

19. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Yeah, that AK-47.net site looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

20. 01_Cruiser

Ok, here's some of what I got:

Mag #1: It's got the rounded back, and the open mag catch.
    [​IMG]

The little hump in the follower is as long as the follower, as opposed to the little oval's in the rest of em:
    [​IMG]

Mag #2: tula or ish stamp? i think I've seen em on mosins before :o
    [​IMG]

More markings on the other side of mag 2:
    [​IMG]

The top of mag 2 has these dimples on each side:
    [​IMG]

Mag #3, it's got the #2 and 5 stamped on one side, the # 3 and 6 i think, on the other
    [​IMG]

Mag #4 has a big S stamped on the spine:
    [​IMG]

Mag #5, It's obviously a different color, but under the cosmoline I'm guessing it's just exposed steel from a well worn mag:
    [​IMG]

The base is quite ghetto, and probably home made, as you can see on the right:
    [​IMG]
    Also, in the above picture, all the mags on the left look the same, but the bases have different sized ovals. Does that mean anything?

Mag #6, it's on the right. The feed lips look almost reinforced compared to the rest of the mags:
    [​IMG]

Also, the side and back looks like it's got machining markings on them:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    No other identifying marks are present on it.

That's what I've got. Any help identifying them will be greatly appreciated :bowdown:

21. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

first one is a stamped chinese, second one is a russian ish stamped. 3 is most likely romanian 4 is most likely east german. 5 looks polish, and i dont know what 6 is.

22. 01_Cruiser

:coold: thanks

23. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

improvised floorplates aren't to uncommon I've gotten a couple mag's with them from the SG deal, I'd pick up a replacment those improvised ones fall apart eventually.

24. 01_Cruiser

How have you guys cleaned your mags? Putting them in the dishwasher is out of the question. Someone said that mineral spirits and/or brake cleaner work, but what's the easiest way?

25. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

if you have a few, use carb cleaner and paper towels.

with as many as i have, what i do is clean the outsides on as many as i can. its not that much work. cleaning the insides/springs/followers is much more work. i leave those for another day.

carb cleaner will cut through that shit real quick and wont ruin blued finish. for thickly coated ones, either stick them in the oven or take a screwdriver and scrape off most of the thick part, then do the carb cleaner. 1.13 per can at wally world.