Sportriders. steeringdampeners?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BlMMERGUY, Apr 28, 2005.

1. BlMMERGUY

BlMMERGUY New Member

Ive asked a few buddies about dampeners and have gotten mixed reviews. some say it was one of the best investments theyve made, others say theyre a complete and utter waste of 400 bones:eek3: . Are they worth getting? which ones are reliable and refined? recomendations for a 600?

2. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

if i owned a R6, i'd have one

600RR doesn't warrant me putting up the money for it right away ... i beliece the suziki (sp?) comes with one stock, and I can't comment on kawi.

I've never heard anything bad about anyone buying them and they won't do any harm (except to the wallet)

3. ragnarok

ragnarok nuclear launch detected

its a solid investment.... a scotts steering damper, stainless steel brakelines, and a power commander are probably the 3 best mods you can do for a bike.

some bikes dont need it as much as others.. ie honda 600s usually are extremely stable and dont need one while the r6 and kawa zx6r tend to be a lil twitchy and benefit ALOT from them.. either way... they are a solid investment

4. ProFX

ProFX New Member

Power commander has mixed reviews as well. Plenty of people say they are completely worthless. If I was really going to push a sports bike >=600cc, I would have a steering damper without question.

5. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I had a dampener on my bike but I was having problems seeing in the mist and removed it.

BAH... horribly unfunny. Anyway, my old F4 could have used a damper when I geared it down because it liked to wag often on hard accel from a curve. My current ride has never really needed the stock one (that I've noticed) because I tend to just leave it in a high gear and freight train myself out of a curve. I usually break the ass end loose before I lift the front.

6. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

do you wheelie? if so, you should get one. they will save your ass when you come down wrong... i would never wheelie or stunt without a dampener. and scotts is where it is at.

other than stunts, if you have the money, and it is burning a hole, they are worth the money.

7. Esp69st

Esp69st Who's talking about OIL... bitch you cooking

Why would you say that.. I love the handling of my bike best handling in own opinion...!!!

I had the front end come up while coming of a curve and it fixed it's self with no problem... I don't care much about how fast my bike is because in my own opinion all new 600cc are fast is more on the driver then the bike, but handling on my bike is what amaze me...

8. Bret The Ripper

Bret The Ripper I

I am planning on getting one once my bike is on the street agian.

Like said above they will save your ass if you do any wheelies (intentional or not). They also cure speed wobble or tank slap. I have never heard anyone say that they dont love having a damper on their bike.

Im planning on throwing down the 400$ for the scotts also. :)

9. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

Its damper people. DAMPER....

10. s a x m a n

s a x m a n New Member

just too twitchy for me ... my buddy who has an R6, I let him take my bike for a rip down our favorite road, first thing he said when we stopped:

"holy shit, this thing rocks! It's so damn stable!"

afterwards he tried to talk down his intial excitment about my honda as not to diminish his R6, but its the gut reaction that I loved seeing ...

11. Esp69st

Uhmmm!!! I would have to take your bike for a ride.. to be able to judge. :hsugh:

you ready for JUNE 2. I can't wait.. I just bought a brand new car I don't think I'll be anymore trackdays for the year.. :wtc:

12. SlickStick

SlickStick New Member

I was considering one also, is the only real purpose to prevent headshake? I've never had headshake on my F4 yet, but I don't wheelie. Is it worth the money on an F4?

13. ragnarok

if you dont wheelie youd ont NEED one.... the f4 and f4i are proabably the most stable streetbikes out there.... its stil good insurance but you probably wont need one

14. ragnarok

that was pretty much my reaction when i sold my r6 and got my f4i... it might be different on the 05 r6 though since they changed the rake angle and front tire size

15. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

Keep in mind that when you add one of these things it's going to make your bike harder to steer... as in you'll have to use more muscle.

For a lot of new supersports it is good "fuck up" insurance, but ideally if you've got good form you shouldn't actually need one. Repeat after me... I will not use the bars to support my body weight, I will use my legs and back. Say this three or four times and if your hands start getting cramped on a ride pull over and spank yourself for being a bad boy.

16. drakk0r

drakk0r New Member

I just recently had a full blown tank slapper at around 100 mph on my 954. Only by the grace of god, and a little luck was I able to pull out of it. Ironically, I had just order a scotts damper the day before. I'm now a firm believer in them. But then, the 954 has the most sensitive steering I've ever heard of, or even read about. So the NEED for one will differ from bike to bike. But if you've ever got more then 1 or 2 shakes from the bars, I'd get one.

17. Esp69st

On a serious note.. be honest WAAATA hell where you doing that you got a tank slapper at 100mph.. you definitely had the front wheel flying,, the bike won't do that by it self...???

18. Short Bus

Short Bus Beep beep!

It could have been any number of things... but I can all but guarantee that he was holding the controls too tightly.

Even my incredibly stable XX will wobble a little if I use the controls to help pull my ass back on the seat coming out of a curve. I can't imagine what an R6 would do if I tried the same thing. Same thing goes for hitting a speed bump, landing a wheelie, whatever.

If you have a strangle hold on the bars you're not letting the bike work as it was designed. So instead of a shake you get a wobble, and if the wobble is bad enough the bike goes into a full blow tank slapper.

19. drakk0r

drakk0r New Member

I was accellerating hard and shifted into 3rd which made the front tire light. This was on a road with black patching running all over it. The road was still smooth, so I didnt think anything of it when I began. But I guess those little black strips are enough when the front tire gets that light. I could have hit a bump too, but I dont remember. It wasnt a gradual thing. It all happened and ended in about 3 seconds. By the end of that time, I was on the opposite side of the road, with about another foot or so before I ran off it.

20. drakk0r

drakk0r New Member

I probably was holding the bars to tightly. I just got this bike, moving up from a CBR 600, and I'm still not quite comfortable with its insane accelleration, so I was probably holding on too tightly to the bars, instead of with my legs at the tank to keep from sliding back.

I'll openly admit, I'm pretty much a n00b. I've been riding for 3 years now, but this 954 is a whole new beast to me. Everything is touchier, faster.. Which makes the bike extremely fast and agile, but I cant quite handle it yet. So maybe a damper isnt NEEDED, but its cheap insurance for the likes of me.

21. Esp69st

I've had the front end come up, dumping the clutch hard on 3rd gear,, and I've never had any wobble the only ones I've had it's when I get the front end up in first and coming of a curve.. but at high speed my bike is incredibly stable I don't know maybe because it's still new.. :rolleyes:

22. Esp69st

I had three last weekend.. but I trust my bike it fixes it's self....

23. HMan

HMan grossly deformed

I used to float the front wheel all the time on my F4. From dead stops I did it all the time and then would "hop" the front when doing the one-two shift. I would also often do it when powering away from the apex of a curve. I had more than one wobble back then that scared the bejesus out of me but relaxing the grip usually settled it.

24. YesterdaysGone

YesterdaysGone Iced Out Platinum Member

hah, and i own one :Owned:

25. VolksDragon

VolksDragon New Member

It's spelled both ways quite commonly, actually. And both ways are more or less correct, depending on which sub-literate bastard you ask. In CORRECT english, damper is an adjective, describing something that is more damp, or a noun, as in the hardware that accomplishes the "dampening".

Both are accepted terms and uses, describing the same thing.

For instance: "I prefer that your sister be damper before I hit it from behind."

Last edited: May 22, 2005