MIL spoke with army rotc representative today

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by elloyou, Apr 18, 2008.

1. elloyou

elloyou Guest

he's going to send me an email with info in a little bit; I've heard a lot of horror stories about them promising this and that, but once you get in getting screwed job wise. call me a pussy, or w/e, but I have no interest in entering a combat situation... is there a way I can get something in writing saying that I will get ____ job and wont have to be deployed to a iraq?

2. dura

dura Guest

If you have no interest in deploying, don't even consider this.

3. elloyou

elloyou Guest

:confused:

4. Fericide

Fericide New Member

The United States Army is the largest, and by some standards oldest, established branch of the armed forces of the United States

5. elloyou

elloyou Guest

I know there are plenty of jobs... I don't think the only way to serve your country is by being in battle...

what about counter intel or something like that?

6. MumblingJoe169

MumblingJoe169 New Member

you don't think counter intel guys go to iraq? You think your just gonna teleport to your comfy fob? Or never have to go out and collect intel yourself? Just do the world a favor and stay out. There are enough douchebag officers who can't lead.

7. elloyou

elloyou Guest

I didn't mean to imply that I wouldn't go to iraq... I just want a way to make sure I get the job I'm promised....

8. Maffy29

Maffy29 Active Member

ROTC promised my sister a scholarship for becoming an Army Nurse. She got it and is now half way through her tour in Korea.

9. kawasakizx6rrrr

kawasakizx6rrrr New Member

you're a pussy

10. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

Are you an engineer or a medical professional? If not then throw the "promised job" idea out the door. Are you also sure you are joining the Army to serve your country, or yourself?

11. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Or Lawyer or Dentist.

If you aren't one of the above, you should expect to deploy to a combat zone. There are TONS of people that deploy who never, ever, ever see actual combat - or even go outside the wire, for that matter. But unless you're in one of the above professions, you can expect to receive combat training in preparation for deployment into a combat zone. :dunno:

12. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

officers don't get guaranteed anything.

13. nolecdt

nolecdt New Member

Sounds like you're cut out for the peace corps.:mamoru:

14. Hahawhat?

Hahawhat? New Member

If you don't want to get caught up in combat go into something like the air force.

15. elloyou

elloyou Guest

:rofl:

16. elloyou

elloyou Guest

it isn't necessarily that I dont want to be in combat... if need be I'll pick up my gun and killl some terrorists... but I have a pretty good idea of where I want to be in 10-15 years and I think the jobs in the army that I'm looking at will get me further towards my goals

17. elloyou

elloyou Guest

I want to do MI DSC, Operations Platoon

these are the guys that interrogate the enemy, yes?

18. MumblingJoe169

so being a former cadet and an LT now, what jobs exactly do you have in mind? Are you a freshman in college?

19. elloyou

elloyou Guest

counter-intelligence looks interesting.

jr. in college

20. Hahawhat?

Hahawhat? New Member

You can do that in the air force too, but to each his own. Whatever you do though, get it in writing when you sign the papers and make sure you know and read every paper that you sign.

21. burton564

burton564 New Member

your senior year you will fill out a wish list. According to that, and your grades and some other rotc shit the army will branch you. I got that info from a rotc pilot who said he selected MI as his first choice, and Aviation as his second. How you get selected for aviation and not MI blows my mind but you get branched according the army's needs. So if you don't have a mind blowing gpa, and are an amazing cadet, expect to go infantry or armor. There is no guarantee and they won't make you one.

And you better believe MI sees combat. ask some psyops guys what they do.

Cliffs. The United States Military doesn't guarantee anything and when they do they go back on it all the time. Stop-loss

22. elloyou

elloyou Guest

good info, thanks.

my uncle is pressuring me to go marines (marine family), so I'm thinking about saying "forget rotc" and just enlisting once I graduate... I dont know if I really want to pile on more classes--my senior year is going to be very busy as it is

23. burton564

burton564 New Member

everyone in the marines is a rifleman. so if you don't want to ever see combat i don't think that you should ever join the military.

24. MumblingJoe169

well, if you wanna specialize in counterintel, enlist. You can get the job and the security clearance if you qualify. Seriously. If you wanna go the officer route, here is what your in for:
    Your not guaranteed to get intelligence as your branch.
    Since its a highly selective branch, you better have a high GPA and be in the top of the order of merit list nationally if you wanna try and guarantee yourself Military Intel, especially without having to pull a branch detail into a combat arms branch for 3 years.
    Then, once your branched, theres no guarantee of what you'll be doing. Most likely, you'll be working in a S-2 shop as an intel officer for a battalion somewhere. Nothing sexy. You wont be sipping coffee in belgium wearing a cool hat and coat looking for seedy people.

25. elloyou

elloyou Guest

he's the one that brought it up :hsugh: