GUN Spoiled Milk

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZCP M3, Aug 4, 2008.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Well my order from Rainier Arms came in a day before my FOID card expired (Nazi Illinois)....

A POF Gen I billet lower and a Young Manufacturing chromed BCG! :bowdown:
    [​IMG]

But wait, whats this? A giant chip out of the finish on the lower. :mad:
    [​IMG]

And NO staking on the gas keys. :wtc:
    [​IMG]

Here's the problem, since my FOID card is expired I can't get anything new transferred to me. Can they send me a replacement lower directly or will the fact that it has a different serial number fuck things up?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Wouldn't be worth the hassle to me....

I re-stake all my carrier keys myself (it's a 10 min job), and a small knick like that could simply be touched up and made dissapear.

I am kinda surprised that a YM carrier came like that though... aren't they generally highly regarded for their wares?

3. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

They dont come staked. Several vendors will stake it for you before they ship though. Apparently, Rainier doesnt. I know Denny's Global-Tactical does.

4. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

While your foid card is expired you can't legally even have a gun or ammo in IL. In northern parts of IL the scary police task force CAGE (!!!!) has visited homes of expired foid holders before, google for scare. Use caution ;)

That said any repairs can be shipped right back to your house from the factory provided they stamp the new receiver with the same serial number. New serial = transfer. I've had both s&w and keltec do repairs for me that required new frames, both stamped my old serial on the new gun.

5. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i would call john up and tell him about the nick. while it is minor, i'm sure he will make it right.

got pics of the no staking? that just ain't right!

6. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I'm OCD though, it will haunt me forever. :o

I wasn't aware that it didnt come staked though. I bought both of these parts under the impression that they were both top notch from a reputable retailer (Rainier).

I guess I'm more pissed at my Nazi state because until that new card comes in the mail I can't get the lower replaced. :wtc:

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

My brother's FOID is current and all the guns are stored at the family house. :wiggle:

Do you think I'd have a better chance getting POF to ship me a new lower with the same serial? I've been waiting 5 weeks for this new FOID card. :hsd:

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm thinking staking the gas key is going to screw up the chrome job. Probably why they did not stake it to begin with. I would also not really care about the nick, just touch it up. The gun is a tool, treat it as such.

9. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Thumbs up, you never know who is reading and what they feel like reporting.

[/quote]
    No clue how they operate, its worth asking. Any business worth anything would save you a ffl trip or at least pay for the transfer themselves.

I'm with yar on the chrome too, I'd be afraid it'd start to flake/peel if staked.

10. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

some do, some don't.

here's a short list.

Colt
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

LMT / current S&W (non Perfomance Center) ARs use LMT bolt carrier groups
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BCM (Bravo Company Manufacturing) carrier
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

STAG/CMT/early S&W (non-Performance Center models)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Bushmaster
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rock River Arms
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I figured it was standard for them to come staked and it was out of place if they didnt. Hadn't heard anything about RA not staking their shit either. My shitty luck I guess.

12. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

After reading a few articles about how the hard chroming process can actually hurt the integrity of the steel, I'm planning on sending it back and just getting a LMT BCG in its place.

My guns are all so pretty though. The OCD can't handle the blemish. :o

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Dude pretty guns are gay. Go toss that shit off your roof and get on with life!

I was trying to find out if you could stake a carrier after it's been chromed, but no such luck. I would have to agree with Yar and say that it would probably fuck up the HC at least, and might be a bitch to stake as worst. So I'm gonna renig on my earlier comment and say call Rainer or Young up and see what they have to say.

Sorta off topic.... but I never understood the big deal about carrier staking? On bolts that aren't HC'd or something, it takes 10 min and a punch to fix whatever the factory didn't do. I swear, some of the shit that AR people get bent on is nuts IMO.

14. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

The guys on arfcom are a little nuts about what is "good" and "bad" staking. Course these are the same guys with 2000 mags stockpiled for when SHTF. :ugh2: My thoughts are the same as most peoples: if its visibly impacted into the screw then it'll be good enough.

15. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i knicked my POF lower when putting the parts kit in

took a black sharpee and covered up the scrape i made

no big deal, it is going to get a few scrapes on it eventually :dunno:

while i wouldn't be happy about it initially, you should long forget about it once you start shooting :hs:

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I've been eyeing this Titanium bolt.
    [​IMG]
    So sexy but it's $350

My AR smith is not buying into it though. He takes standard milspec bolts and works his magic on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Trues the key and stakes it, polished the rails, and lightens it. Whatever he does it sure made the rifle recoil softer. I notice it when shooting long range targets.

17. Jinkle

Jinkle Habs/Vikings > *

Just sharpie it

18. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Cool Cool, I've heard you talk about it, but the picture is worth a thousand words.

That Ti carrier is pretty trick though. Mind divulging an approximate for what someone should be charged for such work? There aren't many/any AR 'smiths local to me, but I'm sure if I told them what I wanted specifically they could do it.

I assume there isn't much/any downside to it (in regards to F/F)?

19. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Also, that mark, is in such an odd spot. A marker/sharpie will cover it up and you wont even notice.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I'm not even sure. Can't be much. Whatever their hourly rate is. Job should be under an hour. You might be able to get a good machinist to do it cheaper. The rails are just stoned. The difficult is yanking off the key and making sure the contact area of bolt and key are perfectly flat. Not hard to do, just attention to detail. Then I think they put a layer of jbweld or loctite and install the key. Then they stake the bolts. The windows are just done on a mill and quite easy.

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Ahh.... so they bed the key itself? Interesting.... I wouldn't have thought to do that, even though I'm a huge fan of Steelbed.

Might just check it out and trade my machinest buddy some bourbon and let him go wild. I need to get him to do some other stuff too....

I think I'm going to mill a giant penis into the slide of my Tacitcal Sport for a lightening cut. Haven't seen it done yet, and I'm hoping to do a lifesize replica for maximum weight reduction. Might try and use it at a local IDPA match to show them whats up. Then again, these are the kinds of thoughts one can only have after a couple drinks... so we'll see what happens tomorrow (that, and my buddy hasn't answered my calls.... lol).

Last edited: Aug 4, 2008
  22. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

I agree that your primary gun is a tool that will take some knocks, but I also sympathize with the desire to put the dings there yourself on something you paid retail prices for.

You ought to be able to send the weapon out for repair without going through a FFL. If you explain to Rainier/POF that you cannot take in any new firearms, you may be able to convince them to reserial or destroy your damaged lower and send you a new lower with your original serial number on it. Then, as far as the gov is concerned, you have not received a new firearm, simply had yours repaired, which fed and most state laws I know of, do not require the use of a FFL to ship, since no transfer of owership is taking place. Most non-NFA items can be handled this way.

As for the carrier, stake that shit or get something less pretty.

23. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

POF-USA isn't going to create a new lower with the same serial number, 1, it is probably illegal, 2, they won't care

24. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

FYI DPMS carrier is staked