SRS Splitting things

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JohnJohnJohnson, Apr 12, 2006.

1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

If my gf is making $6,000 a year, and I am making $60,000 dollars, then $100 means to me what $10 means to her. So I'm thinking that if the rent for an apt. is $1100, I should pay 1000 and she should pay 100. What are your thoughts on this?

2. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

why is she making only $6k? That's far less then a minimum wage salary isn't it?

I think it's noble that you offer to handle most of the rent because you get paid more...but if you feel that it may one day lead to resentment between you, I think you're better off either postponing your move together, or you should make it so you share a more equal share of the expenses. It's not like you're married and you share the wealth.

As an adult, she *should* be able to handle more then $100/mo rent. I say it would still be a fair offer to have her pay something like $300 - $400/mo while you pay the bigger half. It's not like she'd be using any less of the utilities then you.

3. verveintuition

verveintuition New Member

Absolutely. It's your perogative, anyway....

Let's get more in depth with it. Say you do split the rent down the middle, and all the bills.

If she does have to split it down the middle earning far less money than you, then she's probably not going to have the money to spend on extra stuff like dinners, movies, vacationing, etc, right?
    So you'll probably end up treating her to those things anyway, so that you can still do them together. Plus you've got the extra money, so it's no stress on your back. The money equals out in the end. :dunno:

If you two have an agreement about it, then it's all good. If resentment starts later, you deal with it at that time and reevaluate.

4. EmiB

EmiB New Member

By your reason of thinking, if she doesnt work at all she deserves to live for free

5. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

I think once resentment starts...it's too late.

6. FyreDaug

FyreDaug lolswift

:werd:

why does she only make 6k?

7. johan

johan Active Member

If you were happy with this arrangement, I don't think you'd have posted here.

How much would she pay if she were on her own? $450/mo?
    At 6k/yr that's really not enough to move out and still live a normal lifestyle (rent/mortgage, car/transportation, food, clothes, entertainment..etc) however it gives you an idea of how much it really costs.

No, make that, it gives HER an idea of how much it really costs. So who's suggesting this 10:1 split? Her?

Basing it purely on the income difference is sure to generate a lot of resentment. Many couples, married or not, split up over financial disagreements.

So it's good that you're tackling this early on.