Split rent/etc... 50/50 or by salary ratio?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by multiplexor, Jan 3, 2008.

1. multiplexor

multiplexor Intellectual

Just throwing this out there, partially based on my previous debts thread...

Do you guys believe in 50/50 payments on items or rent...

ie: rent is 500$ a month... thus regardless of how much you or your gf make, you both pay 250$ a month...

If you make 60k a year and... she makes maybe 30k a year, you should still be both paying 250$...

or do you think the one making more money, should be paying slightly more rent/electricity bill/etc...

2. inyoeye

inyoeye huh?

50/50

3. Viper

Viper OT Supporter

I think the fair thing is that you split EXPENSES according to your salaries such that you both walk away with the same amount of spending money each month.

You ask how that is fair?

Well, you split the responsibilities accordingly too. Meaning if you work 60 hours a week and make 60 grand a year and she works 20 hours a week and makes like 20 grand a year, then the burden of the "extra" chores around the house should go to HER to make up for it. Or vice versa if the roles are reversed.

That's just a nice theory, however. You will be a rare gem if you can actually put something like this in practice.

Of course you could split the household responsibilities in half and just split the expense in half too.

Whatever works, but if I were advising someone, I would say that you make sure you EACH have the same amount of spending money each month. You'll save yourself a lot of bitching and moaning if you do.

4. mrchina

mrchina Guest

Edit... Oh I didn't see that the rent was 250/person... I thought it was 500/person. If she can't afford $250 + util's then she shouldn't be living on her own.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 3, 2008
  5. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

50/50

6. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I would live off your salary and bank hers with savings/investments. That's what my 'rents did and it's made them very successful later in life.

If you're really making double what she does, consider it?

7. Yuppy

Yuppy Have a seat right there....

epic fail if they are not married.

there is no difference between that and 50/50 split aside from letting her control all the money. dont do this

8. guiltybystand3r

guiltybystand3r On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for e

Mine too, but that was when they were first married though. If you see it leading to marriage, this would be a good strategy, otherwise I'd go 50/50.

9. controvert

controvert OT Supporter

I concur.

I failed to mention this was whenever my parents first got married. :wiggle:

10. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

50/50 for the most part unless one person makes significantly less. In CA this can be important since rent for a 2-bedroom around here is like $1800.

11. calisteph6

calisteph6 Active Member

On the other hand, I also don't think you should really be living together if you are really that concerned about nickel and diming each other...you should be well on your way to being married.

12. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

Part of it would depend on what type of place each of you wanted to live in. If I was making 30k and wanted to live in a place that costs $700/month and he's making 60k and wants to live in a place that costs $1200/month then I would expect him to contribute more if he wants the more expensive place. I shouldn't have to cover for his more expensive tastes if I would be happy living somewhere cheaper :dunno:

13. lauren

lauren Active Member

why should someone who makes 1k a month walk away with the same amount of spending money as someone who makes 5k? that makes no sense. under your method, what incentive is there to work harder/get a better job if they have the same amount of disposable income as someone who makes 5x as much as they do? i think that would breed a lot of resentment.

and who works 20 hours a week? my bf makes more than me, but i'm pretty sure, if you looked at it hour by hour, he works fewer hours than me. should he be doing the chores? or should i?

like said, it would totally depend on where we lived. my standards are much lower than my bfs.... he prefers certain luxuries i simply cant afford. a straight 50/50 wouldn't likely happen, nor would a strict split based on income ratio. somewhere in the middle would be likely.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  14. demosnat

demosnat New Member

If you aren't married and working towards shared financial goals, you should split everything in half.
    No one should be penalized for making more money. Its stupid on the part of the person who makes more money to subsidize the living expenses of their SO when the relationship is likely to end (again, this isn't for married people) with no legal way to regain their investment in the person.

15. Nsane1

Nsane1 New Member

My S/O and I split the rent and mutual and all the mutual bills (utilities etc) 50/50. We usually try to split the groceries/housewares, but we usually end up taking turns. We usually take turns paying for dates too. We don't nickel/dime each other to death. We also split home chores equally.

She pays HER car payment/insurance/credit cards/cell phone. What's left over after that is hers to spend as she wishes.

I pay MY truck payment/insurance/credit cards/cell phone. What's left over is mine to spend as I wish.

In a previous relationship we lived off of my income, and had fun on her income. When it came time to spend some fun money on myself I would get into trouble. It would be ok for her to drop $XXX.xx on things. It wouldn't be ok for me to spend $XXX.xx on things I wanted. There wasn't a way to "track" who's fun money was being spent. I swore I would never do that shit again.

I firmly believe that's how it should be when you're married too. I've seen other couples that have a joint account and one person forgets to get tell other about a purchase and it fucks up the balance. If/when I get married I'll do a joint account. Again, we'll split the mortgage/bills down the middle, I'll deposit half the amount, and she'll deposit the other half. Now appropriate checks can will be written without fear of something bouncing.

What's in my checking account is mine - What's in her checking acount is hers.

16. DvBoard

DvBoard New Member

50/50 before marriage.

After marriage depends on what can get worked out and how finaicially responsible you both are.

17. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

18. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

If my bf and I move in together in the next few months I would never pay under 50% of the rent/utilities/etc. just because he might make a few more bucks a year.

19. Abomb

Abomb New Member

70/30 or 30/70

20. Diesel66

Diesel66 My standards for women is like rent-a-centers stan OT Supporter

what if he made double your income and wanted to live in a much nicer apt/house then you would have picked out ?

21. MattThom01

MattThom01 New Member

Assuming both people are living there full time, rent and heat should be split. Water and power should too, as they are usually small enough bills that splitting shouldn't matter.

Cable internet...well, if one person never uses the internet or watches tv, no real reason for them to pay.

Groceries, not really sure.

22. HoodRich

HoodRich Professional Street Nigga OT Supporter

I guess a split based on income would be the most fair. My g/f makes much much more than I do, but I invited her to come live with me so I pay all the bills. She usually buys the groceries and stuff. We're both in our 30's though with decent careers so paying all the bills doesnt put a strain on either of our finances.

23. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Well that actually might be the case for me in our future. He's thinking about buying a house instead of us moving into an easily affordable condo/townhouse. We'll have to talk about it much further but I don't think the case will me paying half in that situation because it's his house, his idea, and I'm just invited to live in it with him. It'd be a competely different story though if we were married I think.

24. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

50/50 unless there's a significant difference in your incomes.

I'd say a significant difference in incomes would be > 30%.

25. armond

armond New Member

50/50 in our place. If either of us gets into a bind, the other picks up the slack. Been workin for us so far!