Spilled Soda on iBook's keyboard, how to get it off?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by manchild, Oct 11, 2005.

1. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Yeah, so i just spilled red soda on my keyboard. Not too bad, like the 6, 7, 8, 9, 0, and then the F6F7F8F9 and F10 keys.
    Any ideas how to get it off? i sucked most of it off right away, but some got under neath.

in the past, i've had keys pop and, and if i just press em down they pop back in. is there anyway to do this intentionally, without fuckin the keyboard? Anything safe, as far as like windex, water, soap water, etc?

2. MAD PUNK inDC

MAD PUNK inDC Sic Semper Tyrannis

you can pop the keys off, but another thing you can try is no conductive, contact/keyboard cleaner. State Chemical and several other companys make this, but be sure you get one that says it won't harm plastic, and is non conductive. Soda btw is one of the worst things you can spill on a keyboard. It's a bitch to get out, gums everything up, and the acid in the soda can actualy destroy the contacts and traces on the boards.

3. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

Fuck, so. Should i pop off each key, and like soak em in some of the cleaner, or just pour the cleaner on the keyboard and make sure it dries? Can i just pop of the keys and soak em in like water?

4. Eye For The Winter

Eye For The Winter New Member

Do whatever works and doesn't screw anything up more (which is pretty much impossible)

5. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

i popped off all of the affected keys, and the ones arround them. Soaked em in water, and took a slightly damp paper towel and wiped it all down. Looks better now, and is working for now.
    If anything goes wrong, i'll call apple, send it in for a repair (love the app) and have them install a new keyboard, or make them figure something out.

thanks guys.

6. Atheist

Atheist oh, hi OT Supporter

At work we simply completely remove the keyboard (you'll have to pull the cable that attaches it to the mobo by poping the sides of it up) and rinse it off in the sink. Let it dry COMPLETELY without using direct heat (2 days air drying) and put 'er back in.

I can almost gaurantee apple would not replace the keyboard on warranty if it had signs of having pop spilled on it.

7. manchild

manchild OT Supporter

yeah, i got all/most of the pop off. its back to normal, and sometime i might try that, if its givving me problems.
    Is there anywhere that sells new keyboards for iBooks that u know of? Mine is pretty dirty/worn ('02), and there is a ton of fuzz and hair under all the buttons (no idea where those are from)

8. Inferno

Inferno New Member

I'll sell you a used iBook keyboard for $40 :hs:

9. Bolicious

Bolicious Handleobraese

dishwasher ftw :eek3: