Spied - Lincoln MKS

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by TriShield, Apr 19, 2007.

1. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

It's basically a Volvo S80 given the Lincoln treatment inside and out.

[​IMG]

Resulting in what will look like a supersized European Ford Mondeo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It will probably have the same Yamaha V8 Volvos are using, and yes, FWD.

2. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

WTF. GM and Chrysler are returning to RWD V8 models, and Ford soldiers on with FWD platforms?

Way to listen to the people and the industry, Ford. :hsugh:

3. MCohen

MCohen #NotMyPresident #AmericaIsAlreadyGreat #GoSolar OT Supporter

Another quality new car by Ford. :rolleyes:

4. AllDay AllNight

AllDay AllNight All right, I gotta know. What the hell does "kree" OT Supporter

I'm sorry, but why the FUCK isn't Ford bringing the Mondeo stateside?

On an unrelated note (and I know you made a thread on this) - is the Lucerne really selling THAT well that dealers wouldn't rather have the new Park Avenue / Roadmaster?

5. herpes

herpes OT Supporter

6. TriShield

Because it is the same size as the Fusion, with less hp, and would cost thousands more. Will America pay a premium for it? I doubt it.

7. AllDay AllNight

AllDay AllNight All right, I gotta know. What the hell does "kree" OT Supporter

snape

I thought the Mondeo was EU's Taurus/500, which definitely has taken a beating from the ugly sticks.

Fusion's ok though.

8. TireSmokinSRT

TireSmokinSRT Bring in the stunt cock

lincoln is going from bad to worse in an attempt to build flashy cars for black people.

9. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

GM is giving up on the RWD vechiles too :sad2:

10. Ratven

Ratven OT Supporter

I like the new S80.

Not a big fan of Lincolns, but I guess it looks decent.

11. TireSmokinSRT

:hsugh:

no, all signs indicate that they're returning to RWD.

12. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

the camaro and the G8 thats it I just read this last week...

GM puts brake on rear-drive vehicles. And hell, I am only guessing the G8 isn't included because it is so far along in agreement with Holden, but according to the article maybe it is in trouble.

Published April 10, 2007

General Motors has put a hold on future rear-wheel-drive vehicles.

"We've pushed the pause button. It's no longer full speed ahead," Vice Chairman Bob Lutz revealed in an interview.

Two of the most important RWD cars in the works are the Chevy Camaro sports coupe due back late in 2008 and the full-size, RWD replacement for the Chevy Impala sedan for 2009. Both are expected to be huge sellers and contribute major profits to a GM till burdened with IOUs the last few years.

"It's too late to stop Camaro, but anything after that is questionable or on the bubble," said Lutz, noting that also means Camaro derivatives -- along with a big Impala sedan, "if we call it Impala."

The RWD cars, you see, would be larger and heavier than front-wheel-drive cars or are high-performance models.

So it comes down to the matter of fuel economy. Or as Lutz says: "We don't know how to get 30 percent better mileage from" RWD cars.

That 30 percent bogey arises from a proposal by the Bush administration to raise corporate average fuel economy (CAFE) standards by 4 percent a year so cars would have to average 34 m.p.g. by 2017, up from 27.5 m.p.g. today. On top of that, the Supreme Court ruled last week that the Environmental Protection Agency can regulate carbon dioxide expelled by cars, a gas that contributes to global warming. The EPA doesn't do so now.

"We'll decide on our rear-drive cars when the government decides on CO(-2) levels and CAFE regulations," Lutz said, adding that limiting CO(-2) would increase mileage, too.

"Carbon dioxide is a natural byproduct of burning gas and directly proportional to the amount of fuel burned. If we legislate CO(-2) from cars, why not legislate we take one less breath per minute since humans release capricious amounts of CO(-2) each time they exhale?" offered a testy Lutz.

Lutz also points out that higher mileage will come at a price, with the proposal to raise CAFE certain to increase costs by as much as $5,000, which will be added to a car's sticker, an amount most consumers won't be willing to pay. There are no hard numbers for how much CAFE compliance adds to the sticker now.

"Rather than buy new, people would hang onto their old cars. We could eat the $5,000, but that would put us out of business."

Besides, those who see cars as more than just an appliance are eager for the new RWD offerings.

Among other cars affected are a high-performance midsize Pontiac, a replacement for the full-size Buick Lucerne sedan, a compact smaller than the current CTS at Cadillac and possible 300-horsepower versions of the Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters.

"This is very disappointing," noted Erich Merkle, director of forecasting for IRN Inc., in Grand Rapids, Mich. Most of the cars coming are necessary to GM's turnaround as showroom magnets.

"What the public buys makes CAFE work, not what the industry builds," Merkle added. "To improve mileage you change demand, not supply, by raising gas prices through taxes. But no politician is going to do that so they throw the responsibility on the back of the industry."

Lutz also objects to the talk that carmakers can easily raise mileage with a very low investment.

"Academics assure us that for $200 we can get 30 percent better mileage. If anyone can figure out how to do that for $200 -- or even for $1,000 -- I want them in my office today. Show me how to do it and we'll adopt it," he said. "If I could increase mileage by 30 percent for $200, why wouldn't I? What's my motivation not to when a gas-electric hybrid gets 27 percent better mileage and I hope someday to get the cost down to $9,000?"

Others insist that carmakers simply have to sell more small cars, such as the trio of 1-liter concepts that promise 40 m.p.g.-plus that GM unveiled at the New York Auto Show.

"Small-car mileage only counts toward CAFE if you build them here, and you can't build small cars here at a profit," Lutz said, explaining that foreign-made cars would count toward the automaker's import fleet, and its domestic fleet is where GM needs help.

13. SBandit4

SBandit4 If shit hits the fan, just make sure you have a go

I do not see a reason for a car to be RWD when it is not a sports car. If it looks nice, rides nice, and is reliable, I'm all down for a FWD car.

14. Mugatu

Mugatu Ask me about market research. OT Supporter

Lincoln > Volvo

15. TriShield

No, they just paused the expansion to all brands for now because of CAFE and CO2 regulation changes. Pontiac, Cadillac and other cars will remain RWD.

16. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

still talks of the GTO coming back? :x:

17. TireSmokinSRT

well damn, that is pretty fucking recent.

oh yay, another FWD boat of an impala :rolleyes:

18. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

It's sort of obvious what Lincoln is trying to do...

But what the heck if Mercury around for? It's like they're Oldsmobile or something. If Ford could get themselves into shape, they could turn Mercury into a cool, cut-price BMW rival. They could even have a factory performance dept like SVT, but called 'Mercury Performance House,' or MPH. :hsugh:

19. yeap, Ford is fucked

20. TriShield

If the gov settles on these regulations maybe. :(

21. xjncoguyx

xjncoguyx New Member

The new S80 is garbage, and here's some pics of the new MKR from NYC

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

22. Toxicity

Toxicity New Member

What exactly gave you that idea? Theres nothing wrong with the s80 besides that its a v8. Its definitly far better than the shit lincoln puts out now, the only problem is that they will, without a doubt, fuck it up.

23. Drewski

Drewski New Member

well this one is on a damn good FWD platform, the Mazda6's.

There's talk that Ford will indeed be bringing out some non-stang RWD vehicles too, unless the gov keeps down the road they are on that is

24. TriShield

The next Mazda6 will be using Ford's newest platform, the C2 under the new Mondeo.

25. Seeker

Seeker Brofessional OT Supporter

Ford needed to do this yesterday. They need to replace the Crown Vic with something modern, and a Mustang rebodied as a Mercury Cougar with IRS wouldn't be a bad idea, either.