COMIC Spider Man primer -- recommendations

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by johnny, Nov 22, 2008.

1. johnny

johnny shit, baby

LCS hooked me up with a big pile of stuff for really cheap. Mostly low grade stuff they have tons of, like a full run of Brand New Day plus a one-shot. He also gave me the Spider Man Visionaries: John Romita Sr GN (which looks pretty damn sweet), a different one-shot, and ASM Family.

He warned me about the continuity problems with BND, but said that since I don't know any larger context, it wouldn't get in the way. Everyone really seems to hate that story arc, lol.

Any other recommendations, esp. story arcs or GNs? Old or new, I don't care, just cool readable stories.

2. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

the story arc just before BND was epic and awesome. I would read spider-man reign. Also read the other arc

3. johnny

johnny shit, baby

One More Day?

4. Mortixer

Mortixer New Member

no theres a story called the other. thats before back in black

5. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Alright noted. I might stay current for a bit too, cos a few people agreed that when spidey takes a back seat to another character, the stories tend to be really good. I haven't read the two newest ones, so I have no opinion on them, that's just what I heard.

6. 0wn3d_productivity

0wn3d_productivity OT Supporter

Grab yourself a copy of Amazing Fantasy 15.

7. Randal Graves

Randal Graves Active Member

J. Michael Straczynski had a great run but it was right before OMD/BND.

8. Mr Coffee

Mr Coffee New Member

No fucking shit. That guy did more with Spiderman in his short time than nearly 30+ years of creators did, and they just fuck that shit up and pretend that it never happened.

9. CabbieNamedAxel

CabbieNamedAxel OTCC|SF OT Supporter

The OMD run was incredible, I want to know what JMS had in store for the retcon without Quesada's "LOL ITS MAGIC" bullshit.

10. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Alright, I had to fill a gap in BND but I'm about to finish it. Do people hate it for the continuity alone? It has some good villains, the paper-thin stalker bitch and the mutated meth head (the frame of him lighting up made me chuckle). Screwball is like the Kick-Ass of all-ages villainry. I hated how homeless people were romanticized and idealized, it's unrealistic and does nothing for their plight really.

I have two GNs of J. Michael Straczynski's work. They cover issues 30-39 of ASM (I don't know if they were doing the dual numbering thing at the time). Is there more of his I should find?

I found a few copies of The Other and I have yet to read the GN of Romita classics.

11. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Oh, I also have a line on a run of the Marvel Knights title by Mark Millar. What do you guys think about it?

12. johnny

johnny shit, baby

Well needless to say BND didn't hold a candle to those Straczynski GNs. I also found a complete GN of The Other, which I'm about to start reading.

Did anyone here like Tangled Web? One of the books included the "Flowers for Rhino" story; it was just brilliant. Only 22 total issues -- I might try to find more if it's worth the time.