SRS Spending problems..

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BradUF, Jun 22, 2005.

1. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I guess my spending is not really that bad but its not good. I mean I went to go buy an x-box mic today and instead of getting the cheap 30.00 one I come out with the 80.00 wireless one I dont fucking need. I already open it and everything. I am trying to save up for a PacMan arcade machine and I am going in the hole some how :(

2. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Thats something you just gotta learn how to control man... if its cards you're putting it on, then cut up the cards, or dont bring it with you.

If its cash you're using, than only bring what you need... it really shouldn't be that hard when you see your bank account numbers.

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Well if I go over my spending I bought Halo 2 for 39.99, Mic for 89.99 and ram for 162.00, SWG 29.99, 1 month sub 14.99. Thats in about 2 months. Is that bad?

4. hudson

hudson movement

bad is relative, its bad if you make 10k at a part time job, its not bad if your making 300,000

I don't know how old you are but here are some thoughts

spending on random unneeded items like that mic will end up causing you a lot of problems latter in life. Debt is bad, staying out of debt is good. there are a lot of people on this bored that don't understand this. If you are young the best thing you can do for yourself is to start training yourself to have self control. Sit down with yourself (yourself and your wife if your married) and do a full budget and FOLLOW IT. every single dollar you make should have a name on it. even if it has a name like "microsoft xbox" and "savings" get in that habbit now, avoid buying things you don't have the money for and you will win.

5. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I have the money for it I just hate wasting money. Last night I did something bad I put it on my credit card when I didnt have the money until today and I have to run over to the bank and put money in before I get an over draft. My paycheck comes in friday and should cover everything. But I am going to return the mic for a cheaper one.

6. BradUF

BradUF Guest

Whats a good budget? Do I figure up how much I get payed and decide what I am going to spend on gas, food, toys and savings?

7. hudson

hudson movement

A budget will depend on you. But here are some tips

do a monthly budget ahead of time, i like to create my bugets for the following month the last week of the month. figure how much bringhome your going to make and go from there

Food should be first
    Then your water, electricity and gas
    Then your home (rent or mortage)

its up to you what comes next

but make sure you put a name on every single red cent you make

your post inspired me to write this

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=1865305

hopefully this will help.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2005
  8. Toasty

Toasty Naked people have little or no influence on societ

Elite, you got some good advice here...

If you got the money to afford some luxuries, then I think you can be a good judge about how you spend.

But if there's anything to learn from those of us who have made mistakes and had to learn later in life, it's to avoid debt. Get in the habit to spend only what you have...and cut those credit cards if at all possible.

If you use them....pay them off immediately. Don't rest on paying just the minimum amount. And avoid doing what you did where you're counting on your next paycheck to cover the expense ;)

Use only one card, monitor it carefully, and if you keep tabs on your bank statement regularly, you can judge where your "fun" budget balance is on any given day.

Unless you're in the Hilton family... it still makes sense to be careful with spending.

9. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Write down what you are spending for a month, separate NEEDS/OBLIGATIONS (i.e. rent/food/gas/insurance/other living expenses) from DESIRES (gaming stuff/toys/etc.). Figure out how much you need for your obligations, then each payday, set aside half that amount, and do the same the next payday, by then you will have saved up the money needed for your expenses.

Here is an example of my budget sheet for my utilities...it's about 2 years old :o but I still use the same system to date. Most of my bills are due at the beginning of the month so I have my budget set up that on the 15th (or within a few days after) of this month, all bills due next month are paid. You will see in the upper right corner the amount I had been setting aside each pay day at that time....as time goes on and amounts change, I have adjusted how much more I need to set aside each pay day. A few dates on here may be off as this sheet was made up not too long after I had bought my house and was still figuring the budget out.

BUDGET SHEET

Some people like to do their budgeting on the computer using budgeting software....I personally like to do it on paper, for me I make less mistakes if I have to manually do the math...but that's just me :p

Hope this helps a bit.

The younger/sooner you start budgeting the better off you will be down the road. I went through a period in life where I my motto was SPEND SPEND SPEND, and got myself into a pile of debt. I finally had to quit screwing around and write out a budget, and in time got myself out and was able to buy a house, and live within my means. When you keep track of your spending, it helps you learn to save, and sometimes you find you have more free money than you thought you had :)