SRS Spending problems...starting to lose control again...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JakobwithaK, Apr 12, 2006.

1. JakobwithaK

JakobwithaK Titty fuck for the win!

Ive been pretty good with my spending for the last 4-5 months up until last month I'd say. During that time, I was able to keep my big ticketed purchases to a minimum. Basically if I didnt need it, didnt get it and saved the money instead.

Just up until last month I have been falling back into my old routine. I'll admit I make some really decent coin, but Im not rich or anything. And I do think that at times I tend to overlook just how fortunate I am to be making this money. Meaning undervaluing the importance of saving up money and bit too easy on my spending. From the way Ive been spending lately..you would think it:rofl: Its wierd because if I go broke or low on funds, my spending habits are much more controlled. But then again, when you have no money you would be forced to adjust your spending ways.

Here are my high priced items in t he past month or so.

1. Two laptops within the last month and half (one was sold last week) - $1200 (one I have now)
    2. Large LCD monitor - $560
    3. Eye frames (including the lens and tax) - $400
    4. Bed $550

Ok the bed sure I needed it. Eyeframes yes, but I didnt have to spend that much. LCD monitor, I really dont need, its a total want...but right now I love it too much to return it.

And right now, I am this close to making a deal with a guy for a $1250 cell phone, but I would be getting it for $675CDN. Still alot I know...Im trying to resist and tell myself "Yes I need a new phone, but I dont need a $1250 phone"

Give me tips and fast....I will be really ashamed of myself if I were to get that phone right now. Even more so my family....they would KILL ME!!!! Because sure I have the money, but the fact is there is always much more important things to put that money towards.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2006
  2. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

Hmm.. sometimes I would be the same way. Where I would justify buying high cost items when you get them at a discount, or as a "deal", because you feel like you are saving money.

When in fact, as you know, you aren't. It's things you don't need, and really should be saving for other things. What I do now, that helps me, whenever I purchase anything over say $50-100... I give myself a day or two to consider it. Usually after I give it a day or two I end up not justifying the purchase, whereas before, the moment I would see something I would make the purchase without thinking twice.

Try it. It might help.

3. JakobwithaK

Beanolo, I do that exact same thing too. Sometimes it works like a charm and I soon forget about even buying it, sometimes it just keeps coming back.

Im trying to save up for a house, but how the heck am I suppose to do it when Im blowing it on things here and there I dont need.

4. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

My mom is big into spending and its made life a hell for her & my dad. Do you buy this stuff with a credit card? Cash?

If its cash, then it might be easier to stop spending so much. Like beanolo said, consider large purchases before you make them. The bf & I do that with stuff over $100. We'd rather contemplate how bad we need it / how much we want it, and if it'll be worth it.

Credit cards (something I will never possess) are a bitch, since a lot of people think "oh moneys there" and dont really think about whats gonna happen when its time to pay it back. When we moved from NJ, my mom wasnt able to put her name on the deed to the house in NC because of her outstanding debt ($25k+ on ONE card alone). My dad had no idea until then. They put $100,000 down on the house in NC, and that since has been turned into a loan to pay off all their debts, and she needs to take out another $5k to cover some more. If they miss a loan payment, the bank gets the house & they're screwed.

You say you want to be saving for a house. Make a money market account or something (thats what the bf & I have, so we put that certain amount per month in there and keep it away from our savings & checking accounts). Like us, put some money away each month, and try to budget yourself with the remainder of the money. You're less likely to go digging into the MM acct if you remind yourself its for your future, for your house. With the other money, ask yourself if its necessary, or if the money can go towards something better and more useful/meaningful to you.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

There once was a rich kid, his dad was vice president of some toy company and the kid could get absolutely 'everything' that he wanted, after buying tons of useless stuff his entire room was filled , then he looked back and thought of how he didn't actually needed any of it.

Ask yourself, do i really need it? If the answer is NO , then don't buy it. Only love can fill up the gap in your life, after a few days of the purchase you'll only get bored with it, and will look for something new to buy and again will be left unsatisfied.

6. Hello Kitty

Hello Kitty New Member

I agree with Spectra. Pay yourself first. Get a Money Market or CDs that aren't so easy to get into. For most people once they see the money start adding up it to becomes like an addiction and they want to see it grow.

7. JakobwithaK

I usually pay cash, I have a C.C. but its under my moms name since i had one about 8yrs ago and ran it up 67K on it (BMW mostly). One of the stupidest things i ever did, I was young then.

8. JakobwithaK

thats how i feel right now. When i feel like im overspending, what do i do? return or sell off the stuff i dont need

9. JakobwithaK

to sum it up here is the big ticket items over the last 2 months

$230
    $130
    $650
    $150
    $1200
    $400
    $560
    $670

10. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

How old are you? Some people just have to give up control, and give someone else control over their finances.

11. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

Return it if you can, sell the rest. Keep whatever you think you'll be tempted to purchase again in the near future.

12. JakobwithaK

13. JakobwithaK

well thats the thing, most of it now i wont give up, i just like them too much. The ext large LCD i didnt need but im in love with it right now.

Glasses cant do much about it....though i didnt have to spend that much

Nano - cant live without.

14. Ricey McRicerton

Why can't you live without the LCD or the nano? They're just extra stuff. You don't really need them.

15. JakobwithaK

well at my job we are allowed to listen to music and without my mp3's for 8hrs a day, it would be suicide...plus commuting on the way to and from work. :wtc:
    And I also got it at a good deal too.

The LCD i dont need, but i have a 15'' laptop and trust me, the big LCD does come in handy, can run dual monitors and its easier on the eyes when at the desk for long periods of time.

16. Ricey McRicerton

The point is, you can live without them. If they were gone you would still live a full life. Think about that when you want to buy things.

17. JakobwithaK

i know, but i figured i had the money so i would treat myself :naughty:

18. Ricey McRicerton

If you keep wasting your money on frivelous stuff like that how are you ever going to put a down payment on a house or save for a car or something? Just because you have a little extra money doesn't mean you have to spend it.

19. miniml

miniml New Member

i have a problem with money too

i dont make much relative to others' incomes, but realtive to my expenses (or lack thereof), i make bank

while i dont buy anything more for more than $100 in one transaction, i probably spend about $15 dollars a day (food, computer time), $30 on gas a month

ive found that the little things DO add up

:'(

20. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

well, here's my two cents worth. www.daveramsey.com Don't know if you've heard of him, but he's a financial counselor with a national radio show. Instead of "ultra-sophisticated" money handling, he teaches basic, simple, common sense personal finance. If you want a different approach, check it out. You can get a lot of valuable info (IMO) here. Do a little reading and check out some of the success/"stupid tax" stories.

21. JakobwithaK

good point.:squint:

22. JakobwithaK

they sure do .

23. SpectraRedZ

SpectraRedZ New Member

gah, i spend that a week :wtc:

and thats with a beater car gettin 26mpg!

24. itslackers

itslackers New Member

The more you make, the more you spend. I started taking courses regarding self directed investing and found that it curtailed my spending habit - plus I learned about all the different routes of investment.

25. m0untaind3w

m0untaind3w OT Supporter

You don't seem to be spending that much at all, how much do you make?