SRS SPENDaholics / SHOPaholics

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Kim, Jul 12, 2006.

1. Kim

Kim New Member

I am one. I don't know anymore what to do...

2. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Only carry cash, and only enough for what you need to buy that day. Seriously, no cards. It might not be that easy, but it might be a start.

3. Scolecite

Scolecite New Member

time to work on yourself and not identify with what you buy or wear or drive or do for a living.

4. HardTech

HardTech hungry

be happy with what you have. Only buy things you need, or once in a while buy yourself something nice.

I haven't purchased a clothing item in many months, but I need new shoes so I've been thinking about buying them. That means I'll probably buy them in like 2 or 3 months.

All of us have our hobbies and enjoy spending money on our hobbies... but when you spend a lot of money just to keep up and buy clothes when you already have a lot, just try to think if what you get out of that is worth spending thousands and thousands of dollars.

5. samonkahonk

samonkahonk New Member

yea...like once i went to a strip club and i reaaaaaaaaally wanted to get more cash but i wisely left my debit card in the glove box. This method works very well imo.

6. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I buy everything on credit. To me, cash is free; I have it, it's mine, and if I spend it it doesn't matter. Buying on credit, on the other hand, means that someone else gets to own me for the next 25 days. Therefore, I always buy myself back from the credit company every month, in full and right on time.

I avoid buying tons of crap by spending months at a time (NOT constantly, mind you) figuring out exactly what my needs are and what options are available. I've spent a year and a half figuring out exactly what I would use a laptop for; pants, on the other hand, are somewhat easier -- it only took me two weeks to figure out that Levi's SilverTabs are still the most comfortable jeans I can buy. And then I bought them. The laptop is still on the waiting list.

Knowing EXACTLY what you need and what product(s) will meet that need the best is a good way to keep from buying 31 flavors of everything. It also helps to have to work ten hours a day to pay for all that shit; it gives you a good sense of how much of your life you're wasting if you throw your money away.

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

call somebody first.

8. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

I would suggest getting some books by Suze Orman. She deals with the emotional connections we all have with our money. She also has a TV program on MSNBC and it's awesome.

Many people, with good financial advice, simply miss the emotional connections. Suzy is one that doesn't.

9. tidalxwave

tidalxwave WWKD? OT Supporter

I have money in two banks, however i only have one debit card and checks only for one bank. Prevents me from transferring funds back and forth so easily if funds in on bank goes low.

Also, I try to lock up excess money into CD accounts. Because those are at least 8 months, then you would have extra cash lying around that you're tempted to spend.

Just Lock up the cash is so its not liquid, then you'll be a lot better.

10. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Very interesting spin on the issue. I never thought about it that way. As long as your fear of being "owned" outweighs your desire to buy, YOU WIN!