Speedometer for Running

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, Aug 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

I can run like a jack rabbit when i'm on a treadmill, but when i'm running outside I can't run for shit. I can't pace myself and I just lose my focus and concentration.

Being on a treadmill basically forces me to hold a certain pace the whole way through and I can easily do it, get my breathing perfect, etc. but outside is a whole other story.

I've spent hours upon hours upon hours reading articles and all sorts of stuff in Runners World and online, but none of it really helps.

Is there some sort of digital speedometer wrist watch that I can buy so I can see exactly how fast i'm running and constantly refer back to it to make sure i'm holding a certain pace?

I found this thing made by Fit Sense, but you gotta attach this gigantic sensor to your shoe.

thanks

2. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Mark a mile, run it and time yourself. Do this until you can feel out how fast you're running.

3. Mojo

Mojo New Member

im in the same boat as you

4. Accord

Accord New Member

Easier said than done.

I just cannot maintain a specific pace for any amount of distance.

5. Accord

Accord New Member

6. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

I use the Garmin Forerunner 301. This thing is awesome. I, too, used to only run on a treadmill because of pace and progress tracking. When I found out about it, I got it right away. I haven't run on a treadmill since I got it and have run outside more than I ever have. It works for any activity you may want to measure speed and distance for (rollerblading, biking, etc.) I don't use the heart rate monitor much but it has that also, if you're into that thing. When you're done with a run, you can download the data into your computer, and it shows a map of where you went. I suggest going to the link and reading up on its numerous features.

It's obviously expensive, but if you're serious about outdoor exercise and you want to track your progress and pace, it's all you need.

7. tb151

tb151 New Member

I'm the same way, I can run 7 miles on a treadmill no problem, but when i get outside its almost like 4 miles feels like 7... i may have to give this Garmin thing a shot...

8. CraneCamsOU

CraneCamsOU OT Supporter

You know, running on a treadmill isn't really running, right?

Not to shit on your party or anything, it's still a good cardio workout, I'm just stating a point.

9. brettD

brettD New Member

i saw this thing at walmart its like a pace counter counts how many steps and shit you take a day the guy on super size me had 1 told his speed ill look for itt

10. Accord

Accord New Member

Thanks for the info, sounds like exactly what I need, but $325 :eek3:.

11. Accord

Accord New Member

Oh sweet, they have a cheaper one, the Forerunner 201 which has less features, but still has speed, distance, and all that. http://www.garmin.com/products/forerunner201/

edit: they also got the Forerunner 101 which is the same as the 201, except it runs on AAA batteries instead of rechargeable, has all the same features as the 201 for only $115 :bigthumb:

Thanks for the great idea man, the 301 is just way out of my league but the 101 sounds perfect for me.

12. KetchupKing

KetchupKing New Member

running on a treadmill is easy... running outside stresses the calves and hams more.

13. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

14. Accord

Accord New Member

15. GND

GND BBP! OT Supporter

16. Pork Chop Sandwiches

Pork Chop Sandwiches Extraordinary Member

Good deal! I got mine on eBay for around $250, but if the 101 has everything you need, go for it.

17. WPInerd

WPInerd New Member

running outside is so much harder...i rock at the threadmill and outside i get whooped

18. NJGuy

NJGuy "Fuckmefuckmefuckmefuckmef uckmefuckmefuckmefuckm OT Supporter

Treadmills are for chicks thats why.
    They are much much easier than real running.

I try to tell this to a friend of mine.
    He thinks becuase he runs more miles on a treadmill then I run on ground he can run farther than me. One of these days im going to go into his gym on a vistitors pass and and run about 10 miles.

Same shit happened with an X-GF of mine.
    I was running 3 miles on a track every other day a few years back trying to get my wind back. She tells me she is running 5 and wants to run with me. She busted my balls a bit for the fact she just started running and could out run me. I thought she meant on a track not a treadmill. So Im like thats cool. I will do my three then do some stretches or some shit while i wait for you to finish. She was done at 2 miles. Out of breath and crampen up.

19. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Get a heart rate monitor. Watching your heart rate while running will help you more than knowing your speed/distance ever will. (Although it's nice to know how far you've ran.)

20. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

depends on your goal... if you want to know your split times for miles and be more conscious about your pace.... heart rate aint gonna do shit.

"I've spent hours upon hours upon hours reading articles and all sorts of stuff in Runners World and online, but none of it really helps."

all i can say is know exactly how far you're running every run, and place/know markers of how far you've been. then check your watch periodically and figure your pace out.

you can do this on a track easily. if it's 400m, know that 4 laps = a mile. so if you do a lap in 70 seconds, you're running at ~4.6min/mile (or roughly 4:36). and then on your second lap find out your time and calculate that. eventualy you will learn how fast a certain pace is and how face you're really running.

21. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

just get a little ass garmin GPS

22. Accord

Accord New Member

When i'm running, i'm thinking about every step and other things that just make my runs seem so much longer than they really are which as a result makes me more tired that I really should be. A 3 mile run is simple and easy, but when i'm running my mind is just thinking about every step, every breath I take, etc. and it totally fucks me up.

I've talked to people and they just tell you to "zone in" and not think about ANYTHING and just have a completely blank mind, but I just can't do that. Then I start thinking about trying to have a blank mind and that just messes me up more.

For some reason, I don't have this problem on a treadmill.

I never realized how much brain power it takes to be a good runner :o

I think I need to see a sports psychologist :hsugh:

23. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I was taking in the fact that most HRM's have a split times and stop watches built in.

24. Accordinly Done

Accordinly Done OT Supporter

I have the same problem with running at the academy. Whenever I get to the point of heavy breathing I zone out and focus on one point ahead. It has worked tremedously. whether it be a stop sign or street light.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.