Speed comparison. Wired .vs Wireless.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Sep 18, 2006.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I have a linksys WMP54GS router with "speedbooster". I use it occasionally with my laptop but my laptop has built in wireless (not sure if it's B or G but I know it doesn't have speedbooster) and I don't use it for large file transfers.
    I am thinking of putting a pc in my garage and at least temporarily using it wirelessly instead of wired. Just don't have time to run cat5 now but might later in the year.
    Can anyone give me some "real world" numbers on what my transfer speeds would be for large file tranfers between my main pc and a wireless with the speedbooster? How much longer would it take to send that same file via wireless vs wired?

Say, for example, on a 1GB file. How long would it take each to tranfer??/

2. 7960

7960 New Member

There are a few parts to this........

What's your wired NIC, 10meg or 100meg? if it's 10meg then wireless G will be faster. if it's 100meg then wireless will be slower.

Is your router B or G?
    Does the router support speedboost?
    The card you're talking about is G capable but only if the router is also G. If it's a legacy (old) router and only runs B then it will be slower no matter what your wired speed is.

The generic speedboost claims...but obviously it's for a nic and router that both support speedboost.

[​IMG]

3. negative zero

negative zero New Member

The router is G with speedbooster. I would get a USB adapter with speedbooster. My current wired network is 100meg.

I know the wireless won't be as fast but I am curious as to how much slower it will be.

4. 7960

7960 New Member

That wired network has actual throughput around 55meg (possibly a little faster, possibly a little slower...55meg is an estimate but it's probably fairly close).

Your G with speedboost has actual throughput around 30meg. Taking into account that you may not have the best possible signal when running this wireless through some walls into the garage, some quick and ugly math says that at *best* wireless may be close to half as fast as your wired network. At worst it could be MUCH slower.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2006
  5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

The speed booster difference is noticeable, ive done bandwidth test with my g/fs laptop(no booster) and my PC(boosted). Don't remeber the exact speeds though

6. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Thanks for the info 7960. So why do they advertise 54Mbp? Or am I getting MB and Mb confused?

I'll think about it but I really would like to get this moved soon. I just hate crawling around in the attic and fishing cables through walls where there is insulation especially during the summer/hot months.

7. 7960

7960 New Member