specific instructions for a BLACK car? + clear coated wheel care.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Type2, Apr 28, 2005.

1. Type2

Type2 Active Member

Well, I have had my car for about 4 months now, and I have yet to touch it with any sort of wax or polish. I have been washing it and drying it with micro fiber towels at least once a week, and I keep it covered on the days when I don’t' drive it. I did a search for specific instructions/recommendations for a black car but I didn't find anything concrete.

I’ve read about Zaino all over the place, especially on the Z forums where people swear by it like Jesus, but the whole process just seems too long drawn out for me. I’m looking for something simpler, and I’d like something with a wet look/finish. Can someone give me instructions on how to properly go about treating my car?

Also, my Volk wheels have a clear coated lip, and the dealer who I got them from told me not to use anything but water and car washing soap to clean them. However I have heard that waxing them, as you would your car is the best for a nice shine on the lip. What would recommend for the wheels?

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

The Clearkote and Poorboy's lines are very user friendly and terrific on black paint.

I'd use Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze as my deep polish on black paint and either Red Machine Glaze and Carnauba Moose (Clearkote) or Polish w/carnauba and EX w/carnauba (Poorboys) as my regular glaze/wax combo. Meguiars NXT Paste is also excellent on black.

I would also highly suggest investing in a Porter Cable 7424 DA-RO polisher and Meguairs or Propel Pads. The 7424 won't leave swirls but it will do a real good job deep polishing your paint.

3. Type2

Type2 Active Member

Thank you Scott. Could you recommend a site for me to order these from?

Also, any recommendations for the wheels? I know to stay away from acid based wheel cleaners, but do you recommend waxing the wheel itself?

4. black 3g

black 3g Guest

I believe www.premiumautocare.com will have everything that scott mentioned.

Poorboy's Wheel Sealant is, from what I hear, one of the best things for protecting and making the wheels shine.

5. Scottwax

Excel Detail also has the Propel Pads and Clearkote line. Not sure if he is carrying Poorboy's yet. www.exceldetail.com

PB's wheel sealant or really any good wax will help. I've heard Collinite's 845 Insulator Wax is great on wheels.

6. black 3g

black 3g Guest

it looks like excel is carrying a limited selection of poorboy's now. when did that start?

7. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

Hot on the heels

Scott - I have a 99 Denali, black, that has not had a lot of love. Needs a good day's worth of attention. I am a paint guy, not a detail guy. But, I am trainable (a useful idiot).

Would you suggest any other steps besides those outlined above?

8. Scottwax

edrox-how good are your buffing skills? If you are good with a rotary you should be able to get out most defects with a polishing pad and Meguiars #83 DACP or Poorboy's SSR2.5, follow with a polishing pad and Meguiars #80 Speed Glaze or Poorboy's SSR1, then a good glaze with a finishing pad. Top with the wax or sealant of your choice.

9. edrox

I am decent at buffing. I do paint and light body repair, so I have to buff out the fresh paint and the occasional light clearcoat scratch. But, since this is the wife's driver, I want it to look its best

Thanks for the tip Scott

10. edrox

Scott

Any particular mfg/brand of pad you suggest? I see them all over the place from $9 to $30 for a polishing pad. I don't want low quality, so if the price is justified I don't mind spending the $$

11. Scottwax

edrox-Meguiars has some great polishing and cutting pads. Your local paint and supply store that carries Meguiars products should at least have the 8" pads in stock and can order (or may even stock) the 6.5" pads....the smaller pads are actually better. They keep you from trying to cover too much area and hurrying the way people do with the 8" pads. Plus it helps keep your work more precise. Most places sell them for $10-12 and sometimes www.meguiars.com has a sale where you can get two polishing pads and a finishing pad for $24.95.

My favorite online vendor for pads is www.exceldetail.com The Propel pads they carry are excellent. They run around $8.

12. edrox

OK Scott - ordered everything per your instructions. Will post pics before/after (assuming I don't F- it up)