GUN Specific Glock Question - Newbie

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KeeperOfAcheron, Jan 8, 2004.

1. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Hello all,

I have been a owner of several shotguns for sport. I now would like to invest into a pistol and have been told many times Glock is the way to go. I have been researching the Glock's and would like to know which new model people recommend omst for a entry level pistol owner. The Model 22 looked pretty good, but still have no clue. I have fired a 9mm and .45 and would prefer to stay with a higher caliber.

Also, a side question. I noticed the Glock 18 is a switch-able semi to full automatic. I can assume from the start these are difficult to get ahold of and probably expensive. I understand you can get them thorugh law-enforcement to pass through the loop-holes...but does anyone have any more info on this pistol also?

Thanks for everyone's help.

Arthur

2. RRTX

RRTX New Member

I think the Glock 22 is only in .40, if you want the fullsize .45 it's the Glock 21. I don't know enough about Glocks to say if one would be better for beginners than another, the only one I've shot was a 23 which is the mid-size .40 and I thought it was ok, but I've been shooting for a long time.
    The model 18 you would have to fill out the necessary forms and pay $250 bucks to get the tax stamp from the ATF. That's assuming you can get the local police chief or sheriff to sign off the form and you pass the background check. I don't even know what the going price for one is, but I'm sure it's not cheap.

3. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

no, the 18 was made after the 1986 ban on machine gun manufacturing. i mean, manufacturers can still make them, but you cannot buy them if they were made after that. and the 18 was. so, only a dealer with a class III FFL can buy them, and they're post-samples.

the 22 is going to be rougher on you than the 21, because the 21 has a larger frame. the 22, with its smaller (the same frame as the 9mm and .357 Sig glocks) frame and noticeable recoil will FEEL worse than the 21. the .45 and 10mm glocks share the same frames, with the exception of the G36 and G37. the former is a slimline .45. the other is also a slimline .45, but it's the 9mm frame with a .45 GAP slide and barrel.

4. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

Get the Glock 22 in .40 that way you can switch barrels and have a .357 sig and a 9mm all in one gun. Use the .40 or .357 sig barrel for defense, and the 9mm barrel for casual shooting. 9mm is best for a beginner because it has less recoil and it is so much cheaper that you can afford to shoot more.

As far as the G18 goes, don't worry about it, you will never own one. There aren't but a few transferrable ones in the US, and the people who own them have no intentions of selling them.

5. KeeperOfAcheron

KeeperOfAcheron I dub thee Sir Phobos, Knight of Mars, beater of a

Okay guys thanks for the great advice. I was jus curious on the 18. I have dropped ever owning one.

Guess the next step is to find a range and fire some different varities of pistols. Thanks for the help. The guns have shot before were a S & W .45 revolver and a 9mm something-or-other. So I did enjoy the power of the .45, and the 9mm seemed more like a bb gun compared to the .45.

Thanks again.

6. RRTX

RRTX New Member

oops my bad on the G18 info, I forgot it was post '86 :doh:

7. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

I dont know much of this stuff and I m wondering, what is a CZ?

8. Redmouse

Redmouse Just looking...

Under rated Pistol :)

9. pmoney

pmoney OT Supporter

ok thanks