A&P Special Printers - Anyone Work with them or know about them?

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by cassetti, Aug 14, 2005.

1. cassetti

cassetti New Member

Hi guys - i really hope you can help - i've been into this stuff for 2 years - but have no help with my problem.

I am a guy who loves photography. I also love decorating my college appartment - and being unique.

I found this thing (i posted on it before) - its called rasterbating - the site can be found here for anyone interested in it: http://homokaasu.org/rasterbator/

For sake of simplicity - look at the gallery on that page if you want examples of what i'm talking about. But to put it simply - you take any jpeg or gif image, upload it to this web application - select a few settings - and it produces a PDF file each page contains a bunch of black or colored dots - the size of the dots is the intensitiy of the color. When printed out - and put together - it produces a simply AWESOME version of the picture!

orginal picture quality doesn't matter much - i have taken a thumbnail graphic of a poster of palm trees on the beach - and turned it into a 3 foot by 2 foot poster. (roughly, it was printed on 8.5 by 11 sheets of paper)

My problem is the PRINTING!!!

It uses up a LOT of ink for printing.

Now at my work - (small computer company) - we have what is called a "phazer" - its some sort of printer that uses wax cartridges - to print up brochures. Only issue - it is really old.

I'm wondering if someone can help point me in the right direction. I need to figure out the best way to print these suckers. I have MANY graphics i want to "Rasterbate" - and i would love to sell them on the side - and share this creative way to create HUGE banners/posters for walls.

I either need someoen who has access to special printers for me to pay to print up this stuff, or i need to buy a special printer for this.

The key i'm looking for is quality without having to pay $1 a page - when even moderate sized printouts would take 25 to 30 pages. - what aobut if someone wants a 64 page printout (which is like 4 foot by 7 foot)

Problem is - the printouts - for best quality - need to be able to print to the edge of the pages, you can set it for margins - and have a black line drawn around the borders - but it doesnt' seem to work as well. when put together.

Either way - anyone know of where i can either have brochure quality printouts done cheap? or where i can buy a nice quality printer that can do high quality stuff for a cheap price? - i love that wax printer at my work - but its old - and won't last much longer - my boss doesn't want me to use it - so i'm not going to.

Thanks for any help you guys can give!

2. mojito

mojito New Member

might look into laser printers, their cost per page is the cheepest. image quality won't matter as much, as your mean to be way far back to view these.

Just a word of advise, be careful what you sell. You don't say about what your printing, but if you used a thumbnail, I'm guessing you didn't take the picture. Don't be blowing up others photos then trying to sell them, or your gonna to find yourself in a world of hurt

3. Teddy KGB

Teddy KGB soup dawg

Something like this?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or...

like this?

[​IMG]

4. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

Hrm. . . Even my HP 7760 can print edge to edge, and it's old as hell . . . . :dunno:

5. mojito

mojito New Member

borderless is easy, its the cost efficency thats a pain

6. cassetti

cassetti New Member

borderless on inkjet is easy, borderless on color on laser - now THAT is hard to find

How much could i find a color laser printer for? anyone got a price range?