A&P Speaking of computers and editing rigs...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by isaac86hatch, Aug 6, 2008.

1. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

So the other day I had to go pic up some RAM for my work computer for a video that I'm making and while I was there I asked the guys about what their charging to build computers and got some interesting info.

Now, I know software, but not hardware and when I asked the guy about building a quad core rig he just kinda laughed. He asked what OS and what version of Adobe I'm using. "CS3," I replied. Long story short he told me to stick with the C2D processors until more software is configured for quad core processing otherwise I am just wasting money. Now he did say they're great, but I would not notice much if any difference between the new 3.0+ C2Ds and the QCs. True?

Any help would be great. Thanks OT :wavey:

2. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'd stick with the C2D processors until more software is configured for quad core processing otherwise you are just wasting money. Quad core rigs are great, but you would not notice much if any difference between the new 3.0+ C2Ds and the QCs.

I don't know shit about this shit.

3. Hyperite

Hyperite Vagina Junction OT Supporter

Do any multitasking? With core speeds being equal, quad will run much smoother than dual.

4. isaac86hatch

My usual work flow includes running Bridge, ACR, PS and running some batch conversions. Other times I have Premiere Pro, SoundBooth and PhotoShop open at once while editing movies. Another work flow I use constantly is InDesign, PhotoShop and Illustrator. I also usually have iTunes and FireFox open too.

The computers I have been working on can not really handle this load well and the guys at the computer store said they would build me a rig with the 3.0ghz C2D, 4gbs of RAM, an Intel motherboard, 500gb HD and all the other stuff for $800 with a copy of XP. Just dunno if there is anythign better out there. I love my MacBook, but I can't justify the money for a Mac Pro or iMac.

5. wizeguy4

wizeguy4 New Member

Computers are just falling to peices these days, or the guys selling them would like us to believe this.

I run CS3, Bridge, and ACR, FF or Explorer, dvd Shrink, or decrypter and I might have OTAP shittiest computer - single core 1ghz proc and 1.5 gb or sow as shit memory and my biggest hangup is the initial opening of the program and when I have ACR open a RAW in PS.

maybe I have a different definition of what "cant handle a load well" means

6. Hyperite

I mean, I have a laptop w/ Pentium-M 1.8 w/ 2GB RAM and everything runs fine, albeit a bit slower than my C2D 2.66 w/ 4GB :dunno:

Multi-core is definitely a godsend if you're doing more than one thing or are running anything optimized for multicore.

7. isaac86hatch

Having the programs open is one thing. Working with 1gb + movie files, PSDs, PDFs and TIFFs is what kills it. When I am on deadline, waiting for anything to process feels like death. I mean, my little macbook does fine for most of this, but I want somehing that can handle editing movies and large batch processing.

8. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

Solve all your problems and get a Mac! :bigthumb:

9. isaac86hatch

I've had Macs and PCs both forever. I love both about the same. I just am having a hard time swallowing the 2,000+ for something with the same specs as a comp that will cost me $800 and come with a 3yr unconditional warranty from a well-recommended, local company.

I know the difference between both and love them both, but I wanted to know about Quad Core vs Core 2 Duo when doing editing.

10. Girth

I love my quad cores. Fastest computer I've ever owned and probably won't be outdated in 3 years like most PCs will be, plus the RAM is expandable to more than I'll ever need, which is less than what I can say about my PCs.

11. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

8 core crew, signing in :wavey:

12. Girth

And in all honesty, I didn't buy my mac because "mac > pc". I bought it because for the money, I couldn't buy/build anything better... and since the OS is more efficent than Vista, its a win/win for me.

Dell offered the same setup as my Mac Pro through their big business sales, but it was over $1000 more and it had Vista. No thanks. :ugh:

13. Dysfnctnl85

Dysfnctnl85 IT/Apple/Rotary/(D)SLR Crew

Try and "build" a Mac Pro and you'll quickly realize that there is not an Apple tax unless you start adding factory options like RAM and hard drives. Remember that they use quad core XEON chips.

If I were you, and set on building a PC, I would most definitely get a quad core machine. While the applications themselves may not be written to take advantage of all of the cores, the operating system will manage which application threads are run on which core. Given that you multitask so much, it would be advantageous to have as many cores as you can.

Just my $.02!

14. Dysfnctnl85

You are a bastard! I'm playing the waiting game for a Nehalem...my student discount expires in April and I would like to take advantage of it while I still can since I'm graduating in December...

I might just pick up a quad in the meantime. They're CHEAP!

15. Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute New Member

No. Multitasking != multithreading.

16. tetsuo

tetsuo And shepherds we shall be...

this only applies if the architecture is the same. if you don't believe me, look at superpi calculations (only uses one core). the calculation speed for an old pentium 4 3.8ghz will get stomped by a single core of a c2d chip running at 2.0ghz.

this also doesn't take into account the fact that the os has to be able to properly spread all the threads across all the cores, something that no os is perfect at yet.

17. Hyperite

maybe !=, but definitely ~= (related)

well, yes.... superpi on my pentium M is faster than an old celeron, but I was kinda saying it as "all things being equal". And vista is pretty great at distributing load between cores :coold:

18. Girth

What's a student discount on them?

19. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I think i'd rather get a dual, dual core machine rather than a quad core machine. Don't ask why, try Bud Dry.

20. Dysfnctnl85

I should have been more clear, it's a student developer discount. With some quick fact-checking...

From the "normal" store:
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    Mac Pro
    Part Number: MA970LL/A
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    2GB (2 x 1GB)
    320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (Two dual-link DVI)
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide

$2,799.00

From the dev store:
    Mac Pro
    Part Number: MA970LL/A
    Two 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon (8-core)
    2GB (2 x 1GB)
    320GB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s
    ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 256MB (Two dual-link DVI)
    One 16x SuperDrive
    Apple Mighty Mouse
    Apple Keyboard (English) + User's Guide

$2,239.00

That's a pretty significant discount IMHO.

Cliffs: $2799 vs $2239 for a Mac Pro.

P.S. My 3000th post is LAME.

21. isaac86hatch

Shit. That's a lot cheaper than I expected. I guess I was still under the mindset of awhile ago when people were specing out Mac Pros at over 5K. Hmmm. Is the second one the student discount?